PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I picked up a couple tins of the Kendal Black Cherry to try and contrast it with their American Black Cherry of which I've smoked most of the way through a 500 gr bag and I really like.

When I opened the tin my initial impression was " holy grandma panties Batman!" OK here is the classic Lakeland essense. I've tried quite a few Lakelands but this one was overwhelming. I tried the first bowl and it was horrible, I barely finished it. The perfumed essence was just too strong. I seriously contemplated just giving these two tins away or even throwing them out. But I didn't do anything but forget about the open tin for a few weeks.

I don't what possessed me to revisit this strange perfumed concoction this week, but I decided to try one more bowl. WOW! What a difference! Instead of being overwhelming, the Lakeland essence has now synergized perfectly with the tobacco (Black cavendished Va) and instead compliments the tobacco. A nicely sweet, Cherry Cavendish with the perfumed notes giving this a unique flavour I've never had in any pipe tobacco. Really, really nice stuff! I've just about devoured the whole tin now, it's almost the only thing I've been smoking this week.

It just goes to show, you really can't judge a pipe tobacco after just one bowl. If I'd have just accepted my first, admittedly horrible, impression I would have missed out on this Lakeland gem!

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I do think the 'grandma panties' thing is a joke. It is as handy a description for the perfume like Lakeland essence as I can think of. After all, it doesn't have a masculine scent that could be likened to your grandfather's sock drawer. But whatever, once it settles down it sure is good stuff.

it doesn't have a masculine scent
Ehhhhhh, I'd have to disagree adamantly, but we are all entitled to an opinion. To me, the perfumes they use remind me of those decorative soaps ladies of the WW2 generation would put in the bathrooms to cover fart smells, I guess. I don't get anything masculine smelling except from a few of the lesser cased/topped blends they have that you can taste the tobaccos.

My very first exploration into Lakelands a decade or so ago, my initial reaction was, "WTF is wrong with British people?" I couldn't imagine a man wanting to smoke things that smelled like that. But, I am realizing, reading between the lines, that they may have been changing things at GH&co. That would probably be a smart move.

Reactions: woodsroad

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I will say this is one of the best aromatic cherry pipe tobaccos I've tried and I've tried quite a few. The perfumy Lakeland essence definitely adds a complexity and depth that no other cherry aromatic has. I really like their American BC, it's a good English take on a standard American style cherry aromatic. But the Kendal Black Cherry really is on another level. If you like aromatic pipe tobacco I would say it's a must try.

Reactions: Zero

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Ha ha, yeh, the local FD Chief is a pipesmoker, and we were discussing Lakelands one day, he told me that he couldn't stomach them, because they triggered memories of certain wellness checks he had to run on senior citizens that hadn't responded to family for a few weeks. I don't share those olfactory memories, but my imagination grossed me out. puffy
Eeeew...me too. And at third-hand.

Google Image Result for https://media.tenor.com/IWoOmCT-SRQAAAAM/psycho-mother.gif - https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.com%2FIWoOmCT-SRQAAAAM%2Fpsycho-mother.gif&tbnid=s8lH7xJhAkPlBM&vet=12ahUKEwim1oW8vL-EAxXLBmIAHZQKAP8QMyhLegUIARCjAg..i&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Ftenor.com%2Fsearch%2Fnorman-bates-mother-gifs&docid=9ETcP2g3r0XuCM&w=220&h=124&q=norman%20bates%20mother&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwim1oW8vL-EAxXLBmIAHZQKAP8QMyhLegUIARCjAg

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I love the Kendal Black Cherry. Is there a bulk version of it or is it sold only as tinned?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It is amazing how many grown men can remember distinctly what their grandma's panties smelled like. I am pretty sure that this wave of perversion explains the recent popularity in GH&co products. puffy

Jus kiddin. I'm glad you found something you like... pervo... ha ha

Oh please, tell me your grandma never put a pair of her panties over your head and taped it there during two hour long time out in the closet like mine did when she wanted to enjoy her Lucky Strikes & Tom Collins in peace. Then when the time out was over it was back up the inside of the chimneys to make sure they were cleared of birds nests (looking back we really should have had masks to wear going up that thing) and wood cutting time before into the trough for a bath.

• Wow
Reactions: bent1