PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Just a quick note to mention I'm not dead yet haven't abandoned this group sampling! It's been hard to find some time to smoke this quietly, and I stupidly missed the one opportunity I had since receiving the samples - I even let them our to dry, and forgot to take them with me :crying:
But I'm going on holidays soon, and I'll make sure to take them with me, and sample together with a friend who's also a pipe smoker. I'll keep you posted :)

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Ok, so I smoke each one twice. First the young one and then the aged one in the same bowl about an hour apart in day one. Then a few days later, I smoked the aged one first and young one second in the same pipe(different pipe from day one).
The order and pipe didn't have much affect on my opinion, but thought I should switch it up for "science".
I found the aged sample to be a fuller and a more interesting smoke. not overly sweet, but a nice mild VA. I found that it tasted "excellent" about half way through the bowl then faded back to "good" by the end. No bite and as others mentioned "smooth".
The young sample is still better than some other VA's out there, but not what im looking for. It tasted ok in the beginning, but got to be boring around the middle, and I wasn't enjoying it much at all by the end. I found it to be a bit bitty, but not too bad.
Final thoughts; I recently did a similar taste test with another VA blend where I found the young to be tastier than the aged. Not so with FVF. I would say time is this blends friend.
Thanks again for the samples and the chance to participate!

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
As the latest member of this tasting party to chime in, due in part to some nefarious USPS mishap, I am happy to say that I will be posting some pics and my review tomorrow. Again, Ash, thank you so much for going above and beyond the usual goodwill quota for the year!
-Joseph

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
14606471_1122389681172046_4524729285401402466_n.jpg

14708236_1122389694505378_8930566942284167822_n.jpg

I smoked both the newer sample and the aged 7-yr sample out of my Savinelli Piazza Di Spagna Rustic 111 KS. I used my Peterson pipe lighter for both samples. I alternated days and wrote down notes from each session.
I rubbed out both flakes prior to smoking. The newer FVF needed about 6 hours of drying time after being rubbed out and was still a bit of a wee beast to get to stay lit. Once it took to the flame it burned clean, perhaps 2-3 relights total. The 7-yr aged I let dry for about 25-30 minutes, though I could have gotten away with almost no dry time at all. The aged to to the flame perfectly and needed...maybe one relight at most...and even then that was not the case for every bowl. It is very good news to see just how well an aged and more dried-with-time Sam Gawith smokes versus the just-out-of-the-tin rainstorm/flood of moisture.
The newer sample, and most all of the new FVF I've had, smells delicious...a cut above your average Virginia flake. Less young grass and hay smell and more sweet and nuance black tea notes. Robust, but not overpowering. The 7-yr aged smelled so good it's astounding! The newer cut smells great when held up to the nose, the aged bursts forth and fills the room with it's molasses and brown sugar scent. Taking the picture you see here, with the last of the flake I have left, filled the room as though I was eating a freshly baked confection.
I have had SG FVF before and like it very much. It has a pleasing leather/loam/almost clove taste to it that comes forward if you have the patience to sip and sample rather than puff away at. I smoked the newer sample sent and was once again reminded why I pick up a tin of this every now and again. It is a truly significant Virginia.
The aged samples were everything I love about FVF only amplified x10. This taste testing has ruined/enlightened me to just how beneficial aging tobacco can be. The 7-yr aged sang like crazy. The leather is not a well worn coat, aged leather to a softer note. The molasses is not so sharp and just a background lingering brown sugar warmth. The clove is almost cinnamon, the loam now a black earth hint of a note. It was a revelation for me, having smoked mostly newer tins mixed with a few 2-4 year old aged.
The newer flake had to be sipped carefully, but the aged flake could be puffed like a robust blend. Towards the end of the bowl I would almost challenge it to bite. Nothing. The smoothest Virginia smoke with the most flavor I have personally witnessed. I was aware their would be a change in the flake, but not prepared for such a vast difference in profile. Even my wife was over the moon for the room note on the aged. She said it was sweet and sugary. Talk about a two person crowd pleaser! :)
The newer flake took a bit of cajoling to burn clean down, but eventually did, whereas the aged flake burned clean and perfect grey ash to the very end. Comparable with the common Dunhill ribbon cut burn, surprisingly.
The aged SG FVF was so good that between puffs I found myself deeply inhaling the scent from the burning bowl...something i will do from time to time, but never with this much enjoyment.
Thank you so much Ashdigger! This was a wonderful thing you did for the forum and such a cool thing for me to have the chance to be part of. I really appreciate it. Rest assured I will be investing in a few slabs of FVF this Christmas to be put away for a longer haul than usual! I blame you... :)

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
It's taken me FOREVER to find some quiet time to sit back and relax with my pipes. (Damn real life, always getting in the way!)
I can't believe how late to the party I am. Tonight I will be digging into both samples and will post my thoughts. I'm looking forward to FINALLY taking part in this group tasting. Even if it is a month later. Geez. It really does fly.
Cheers!

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
And, speaking of being late to the party... A couple of days ago I *finally* managed to taste my samples!
First of all, my apologies. This was such a generous gift from ashdigger, and I hope my tardiness doesn't come across as indifference. If anything, it was the other way around: I was waiting until I could find a suitable opportunity to smoke and savour them properly.
And it arrived a few day ago, when I was on holiday at a friend (and brother in law)'s house. We loaded 2 pipes at the same time, one with the fresh and one with the aged flake. I started on the fresh one, he on the aged one. After a while, we swapped (so no, I'm not one of those who balk at sharing a pipe, specially with such a close and dear friend). And from then on, we swapped every once in a while, for the better part of an hour or so.
Perhaps I can't add more to the wonderful reviews I've read here. The difference in remarkable - quite literally. It's like two different blends! I had never tasted fresh and aged versions of the same tobacco back-to-back like that, but had always wanted to (in fact, I had suggested something like that as the theme of a pipe tobacco crawl, but it never happened). The fresh FVF is grassy and, well, fresh; whereas the aged one is fuller, creamier. Something I've described as unsweetened cocoa, or unsweetened molasses, but that doesn't quite tell the story. The aged flake is certainly smoother, and my favourite of the two - my friend preferred the fresh flake, though he agrees about the smoothness.
A very interesting experiment was to smoke the aged flake for a while, and then switch to the fresh one. The contrast is not only obvious, but it brings out something new in the fresh flake! It's acidity is highlighted, and it tasted of apple, or more specifically apple cider. Quite unexpected.
All in all, a great experiment, which I hope to try again with different blends. Thank you for the opportunity, ashdigger! :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
First, for the un-aged sample:
The first hint that this might be something special comes from the pouch note, which is closer to a rich bready scent than the normal "breakfast cereal" from lighter flakes. The flake crumbles easily, but I recommend cube-cutting and then sprinkling the dust on top, because it often breaks into pieces. It starts out with the familiar Virginia "hay" flavor, which is actually more like very fresh oats or wheat, but then deepens into a more grain-like flavor with a touch of honey. As the bowl goes on, it seems the flakes slightly "melt" because the honey taste takes over with a rich almost nutty flavor underneath. In the last quarter of the bowl, this melds to a sensation of molasses and slightly rebirths the hay flavor. It burns down to very little if any dottle and never loses its graceful flavor. This is an instant favorite.
SOON: the aged flake review. Thanks to ashdigger for hosting this tasting experience! And yes, I am running very late.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Now, the aged sample:
Where the previous blend tasted like honey-hay-grain, the aged sample tastes more like caramel-corn-molasses. Upon opening the sample, I detected the "ketchup" aroma which seems to be a cross between vinegar, molasses and a light fruitiness like apricot (commercial ketchup is heavily sugared, barely resembles tomato). The blend tumbled easily into the pipe and took more readily to the match, then gave up a caramel flavor that I can only conjecture is the extruded sugars melting off. After that, it went into its main flavor, a deep sweet wheat-to-corn spectrum that like the grains themselves, first gives the fullness of taste and tapers off into the sweetness. As the bowl goes on, the molasses flavor comes out, with less of the slight astringent sensation of fresh Virginias and more of a richness like a Burley. This also indicates conversion of sugar. The flavor profile has compacted, with fewer variations, but like a good Burley -- think Semois or Cube Cut Burley -- it reveals inner variety which has greater depth and nuance than most blends. I could very contentedly smoke this for a long time.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Apologies for the necro post, but I've been away from pipe forums for a while and just saw this thread. Wanted to post my appreciation to ash for facilitating this generous and informative enterprise, and to everyone who participated and posted their impressions and photos. It's been a pleasure reading through everyone's thoughts and reactions.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ashdigger, this was a great thing that you did here. I've read through most of the posts, and I have a question for those who had a chance to see and smoke the two vintages:

Are these actually two different blends?

They appear totally different, in size of the flake, the leaf composition and the compression.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Dan, for what it's worth I have bought FVF and Brown Sugar Flake where the flake size has varied hugely from two layers of full width of the tin to three layers of the full breadth of the tin.
The last tin of BSF I opened, half the flakes were the usual dark brown and the other half were much paler by far. Looking at the 'grain' of the flakes it was clear they were even cut from the same slab...something of a mystery!
I opened recently a tin of Limited Edition Aged Full Virginia Flake and the flakes were laid out lengthwise as is usually the case though they were considerably darker due to their age (pressed in 2012, tinned in 2014).
Regards,
Jay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Tim, I'm not in any way implying that you sent out two different products. I'm asking if it is possible that these two samples are not consistent in manufacture. Is it a different manufacturing process, or were they made in a different facility? How consistent is the leaf makeup? In short, are you comparing apples and oranges?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Dan, don't know the answer. The comparison is between FVF. Maybe the 10 years differences in appearance are production issues. Good questions though.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have been smoking FVF for fifteen years, and have occasionally seen inconsistency in the cut and thickness of the tobacco as well as the color. A few batches have been deeper in flavor than others. I've seen similar inconsistencies, though less often, in St. James Flake. As far as I know, until G&H and SG merged, the tobaccos were always made the same way at the same place with the same equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.