PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I have been looking for this stuff for quite a while, with no luck. Earlier this year I found one place that had it, but you could only buy three tins per order and I wasn’t able to make an order before they were out of it.

Is this stuff still being made? Is it normal that it is out of stock for long periods of time? I have tried most of the Va that I have been interested in, but this one eludes me.

Reactions: Winnipeger

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have been looking for this stuff for quite a while, with no luck. Earlier this year I found one place that had it, but you could only buy three tins per order and I wasn’t able to make an order before they were out of it.

Is this stuff still being made? Is it normal that it is out of stock for long periods of time? I have tried most of the Va that I have been interested in, but this one eludes me.
The short answer to both questions is yes, and yes.

Reactions: Ryan

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I received this response from a survey I filled out at Smoking Pipes, my complaint was about the low availability of some blends:
“In regards to your comment about low stock on sought after blends, we sincerely understand your frustation here. As many of us are pipe smokers ourselves, we enjoy stocking our cellars just as much as our customers, and the lack of these limited production blends is a saddening thing. Unfortunately, we are held back by the production of these tobaccos, and manufacturers such as Germain's, Gawith Hoggarth, and Kohlhase & Kopp have a dramatically lower production rate than most other factories. To my understanding, a ton of their hold up tends to be with packaging, and we're actively working with a couple of these factories to see if we can lend a helping hand to provide more tobacco to the U.S. market. Hopefully, we can work something out in the near future to make these tobaccos much more accessible.”

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I wanted to add that the response was from 8/30/23. I was really impressed with the response and I believe them when they say they are trying to get more stock soon, they are a great business and really go above and beyond.
Agreed. That was a great response. And I'm feeling a bit optimistic now. I wrongly assumed that supply issues were the result of production capabilities or raw leaf availability. But if packing is the hold up, maybe we'll see improvement.
Thank you for participating in the survey, and sharing the reply.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What are the other two? I need more tobacco to pursue and spend money on!!!
I should have said 4. LOL Sir John's Flake Virginia is my favorite first smoke of the day with coffee blend. Pfeifen Huber Virginia Golden Flake is often on the menu for the second smoke of the day. CVP could be 2nd to 4th, it's versatile. Then McClelland 40th Anniversary 3rd or 4th. MB HH Pure Virginia is right there and gets in the rotation reasonably often. Vauen No 14 and F&T Vintage also are smoked regularly. CVP is probably the best all around Virginia Flake for me. GL Pease Union Square and Orlik Golden Sliced deserve mentioning. I think that is 8. If I had only those 8 to choose from all the time, I wouldn't complain much.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I wanted to add that the response was from 8/30/23. I was really impressed with the response and I believe them when they say they are trying to get more stock soon, they are a great business and really go above and beyond.
This is why you will start seeing formerly K&K now just K being Packaged in The USA, Laudisi is doing everything they can to get more of the sought after tobacco into our bowls.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I think that they called us pack rats.

We are hoarders. Thats the bottom line. My dad was a pipe smoker and he also hoarded stuff. When he passed loads of sealed clothes and stuff in his closet. Its hard for a manufacturer to guess what will and wont be successful when the customer base has erratic buying habits. Like toilet paper during covid. Who would have thunk!

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
They're out of Cut Virginia Plug at the moment, but Mars Cigars usually has a decent stock of some of the blends that are always sold out elsewhere - F&T, McConnell, etc. My experience buying from them was a good one.

Reactions: Ryan