PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
My passion for Danish freehands has one downside....There are limited racks made that will accomodate these large pipes. I love the old 1970s style Ben Wades, 7 inches long, usually, with wide bowels. Conventional racks do better holding pipes with straighter stems and smaller bowels. I hate having to remove a stem to place a pipe into the rack. Even then....there isn't enough room.
As of now, I have left them sitting in a desk drawer, but they are so beautiful I feel they should be displayed, preferably on a wall rack of some design.
Does anyone have a suggestion or example of a rack with this in mind?
Here are just three out of my collection.
BenWadeDanishPrideMedium.jpg

BenWadePrebanHolmMedium.jpg

Soren2Medium.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I had a few of those Ben Wades by Preben Holm, and each had its own walnut cradle. But recently I've seen pipe racks

that are essentially vertical boards with slits that are just large enough to hold the button-end of a stem;

leverage and gravity "clench" the pipes. It ends up looking like a pipe tree. I'll post a picture if I find one.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Mlaug, those are magnificent examples of good hunky freehands.

I love them.
I have a nick-knack shelf that I keep mine on, for the same reason.

However; mine will stand up by themselves.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Thanks for the replies! I'd love to see that example with the "slits". I don't remember getting any cradles. I have some of the walnut pipe rests, but was looking more along the lines of a display rack. Maybe the shelf idea will serve as well.
Let me share a story...
It was 1977, my freshman year in college (Northwest Missouri State, Maryville Mo.). My roommate and I decided we were going to try pipe smoking. Both my grandfathers smoked, so I already was hooked on the idea. It would also fit in nicely with our new image as intellectuals. We were 18 years old.
We purchased some Prince Albert and a couple of Dr. Grabows at the local Kmart and started our learning curve. We didn't have the interwebs in those days...we had to learn it on the streets. hehehe...
By the end of our freshman year, we were both getting pretty darn good at it, at least I was, and it was something I enjoyed. My mother was rabidly anti-pipe. Growing up in a household with a pipe smoker had turned her completely against the idea of ever having another smoker in the house. With this in mind...into a box went my pipe to wait until the beginning of the next semester that fall.
During the summer I went for a visit to my roommate's home. He had been secretly smoking his pipe as well. He announced that we needed "real" pipes and we would be going to Kansas City to the Tinderbox located in the Crown Center shopping mall.
I'm from rural Iowa. I had never been in a mall before and never to a tobacco store. I was pumped!! We made the trip and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Rows to tobbacco in jars, walls full of pipes, boxes of cigars, and not nearly the amount of knick knack stuff that shops have in their inventory these days. I browsed the pipes until I saw one that I thought was simply gorgeous!! Its the middle pipe in the pictures above, a Golden Walnut. I asked to see it and the gentleman behind the counter took it down and handed it to me. As soon as I held it I knew it was something special..the way it fit my hand, the way my thumb wrapped around the bowl, the beautiful wood grain, the nonsymmetrical shape, it had it all. This pipe was made for me!!
I turned it over, looked at the price tag, and immediately got a cold hard knot in my stomach. 75$ I had brought $30 spending money. Remember, this is the 1970s, money went further in those days. I was crushed, but my lust was strong. Dad had loaned me $100 for gas and I was supposed to invite my hosts to a resturant meal somewhere. I briefly debated the merits of taking my roommate's parents out for a dinner, or owning this pipe. I took two fifty dollar bills out of my wallet and paid for the pipe.
I returned home, hide the pipe away in my school things...enjoying it would have to wait a couple of months, and prayed my father would not bring up the missing meal. He only asked if there was any change left over, to which I replied..."not much" and he said "keep it".
30 years later, I think of it ever time I smoke this pipe.
Big freehands fell out of style within 10 years or so. Holm died. Things change. However, my love for the 1970s style freehand pipes has never slackened. I purchased a few of the other styles, Canadians, Bulldogs, etc., but they never seemed to have the class of these old pipes.
I've got a bunch of 'em. I've never really counted them...somewhere between 25-30 likely. I would like to display them properly, since at fifty years of age, I'm no longer hiding them from my mom. :)

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I made a homemade pipe rack to hold my tiny collection of pipes:
4904205706_e2aeeda3b0.jpg

I'm certainly no carpenter. :D

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Looks like it works great juni
I think a shelf might be just the thing I need.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
mlaug,

Thanks for sharing that great story! Brings back a lot of memories and associations for me too!

The walnut cradles I memtioned didn't come with the pipes, they were after market items.

I haven't yet found a picture of the vertical rack I tried to describe earlier, but here's an interesting design that might give you some ideas.

PETPIPERACK6.jpg

You might also try to browse European websites for ideas.
@ juni

That's a wonderful little pipe rack. I might try making something like it.

rybo

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
Those are absolutely beautiful pipes. I am in love with Danish freehands - as soon as I'm ready for my next pipe, that's what I'm going for.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I bought a cheap box from Ikea and some stain. Then I sawed off one of the ends, drilled stemholders on the other end and drilled holes for the pipebowls on the bottom and modified each one for the respective pipe (as with the stem holes - every pipe seems to have a different sized stem).
I don't have much in the way of powertools so I mostly used a knife and lots of sandpaper. To finish the whole thing off I stained the it with some "antique" stain.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Swung on by Juni I have a complete woodshop in the basement. A repro Victorian pipe cabinet is on the drawing board as I type.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I'm envious :(. My late brother was a carpenter. He could probably have built something really nice for me. Some people are just handy with tools.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
mlaug,

I still haven't found a picture of the vertical column-type pipe rack with slits that hold the pipes by the bit-end; but here's a pipe rest from Chuckw's collection that works the same way in principle. The pipe, BTW, is a morta.

AskwithMorta.jpg

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Love the pictures in this thread.They should definitely be kept on display,when not in use.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I finally found one on Ebay last week and it arrived Thursday.
It works as advertised. I need to take a picture and share it with everyone.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
O.K. here are a couple of pictures of the new rack. Its an 18 pipe rack, 26 inches long by 14 inches high. There isn't a nice finish on it...its been roughly stained and barely sanded. A fine piece of furniture, this isn't. However, it works.
piperack1.jpg

The pipe spaces are generous and allow the pipes to sit at an angle, with the over-sized bowls that freehands are famous for, to display at a 45 degree angle. The pipe rests in a small routered out divet.
I bought it off an eBay vendor for a little over $40 + shipping.
piperack2.jpg

I don't have wood working skills, so this was a nice option.
I saw another guy use rubber coated eye bolts screwed into a peg board covered in felt. It held them by placing the stem in the eye and letting the pipe rest much like the pic Cortez posted. It looked nice, but was going to be larger than any space I had available.

Status
Not open for further replies.