PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
When I was a little fellow my grandfather was a pipe smoker.That may have left an impression on me.(I'm not really sure) Move ahead almost twenty years,and I'm working in a large factory building cars.Working with me was an Italian fellow Who had moved from West Virginia to the city to get out of the coal mines.He was a pipe smoker.(Kaywoodies) He encouraged me to start smoking a pipe.It took me a little while,but with his help I got the hang of it.I don't remember the exact date,but it was about this time of year fourty years ago.I'm still puffing.Things cost a lot less back when I first started.Bulk tobacco was ten bucks a pound.A good pipe was about twenty five bucks.Dunhills were a hundred.Of course I made a lot less money then.I guess in reality ones ability to afford to smoke pipes is about the same today as it was those many years ago.I lost track of my Italian buddy when I retired and moved south.If he's still kicking now he's over ninty years old.I hope he is.I remember him telling that Kaywoodie was the only good pipe ever made.Of course I disagree with him in that respect.

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
The memories we find nestled within the briar :)
I still remember the first time I saw someone pull out a pipe amongst a room full of cigarettes, fill it, light it and just watch the smoke plume.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yeah, puffy, its amazing how fast the years go. I started smoking a pipe in 1970 (my Freshman year in college)and here it is 2011 and still learning about the hobby from the good folks here.

Glad to have you on board and keep on posting.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Very nice! I have to agree with your Italian friend on Kaywoodies, thought not so far as to say the ONLY good pipes!

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Isn't it great that our pipe memories don't simply go up in smoke? I still remember when I was 12, back in 1959, and my dad brought me home my first cob, pipe nail, and canister of Carter Hall. Thanks for starting us down Memory Lane once more.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the memories, puffy. I always love to here about those who have come before me and how they got their start.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.