Found Another American Beer To Fall In Love With.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
"I went and played beer poker one weekend at a Flying Saucer."
That has gone right over my head.....'beer poker'?, 'flying saucer'?, heck man, what have you been smoking
The Flying Saucer is a craft beer lovers dream come true. They're a franchise of beer emporiums through several major cities. The link I provided you to is just the draft beer list for the Charlotte, North Carolina location. It's a looooong list. Then they have a list about as long for bottles/cans. Each night they do something different. Saturday night is beer poker night. If you play it, you tell the waitress you do, then she proceeds to their cooler and randomly chooses a beer for you to enjoy. No drafts, just bottles or cans, typically stuff they've run low on and just put the last few in that cooler, so you never know what they'll bring. If you drink 200 different beers while on their beer club (which is free to join), you get a plate with your name, nickname, wife's name, whatever on a plate that they secure to the ceiling or walls. I have friends with 7 plates.... That's over 1400 beers consumed. Can't drink the same one twice to count, unless one is a draft, the other in a bottle or can. Once you get a plate, the count starts over. You get a card to swipe and print off tickets for the beers you want to drink. They scan the ticket when they get you the beer and it counts towards your total. Can't drink but 3 or 4 a day to count towards the total, they don't want you to die before you buy all their beer.
25a0c2df581e49fc8abcd987d905f457.jpg

FS2.jpg

By the way, every tap on those walls works.... It's crazy. World of Beer is similar.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
John BC, I shall keep my eyes open for that one, a 7.5% wheat beer sounds just the ticket for the evenings we've been experiencing here of late.
Thanks for clueing me in CCW. Sounds like a sales gimmick to me. Besides, I wouldn't be too pleased having a stranger randomly deciding what beer I will be drinking, but of course, each to his own.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like some mighty fine IPA. The American beer category has become vast, with micro-breweries everywhere in the cities and across the countryside, hundreds/thousands of brands and variations with breweries attached to restaurants and bars across the landscape. Most of these don't have distribution beyond the front door, but the quality goes from okay to celestial. I like the idea of wonderful brews only available in their own locale. It dignifies place rather than having everything carrying huge national brands, and in many cases gives a better product. You just never know what you might find and enjoy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And good beer goes so well with many foods, especially some spicier dishes. I pine for a local Chicago beer from the 1950's, Meister Brau. It used to come in big glass bottles, but then it went to cans, an finally disappeared. Nice zippy but balanced. Someone should revive that recipe. Maybe it retired with the brew master.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
CITRUSINENSIS PALE ALE.
Doc, that ale sounds really up my tree. Over here (or rather in Scotland) we have a craft brewery called BrewDog and one of their bottled ales is 'Elvis Juice, Grapefruit Infused IPA'. Coming in at 6.5% it's so refreshing on a hot summer's day.
They also do Jack Hammer at 7.2%, Cocoa Psycho (Russian Imperial Stout) at 10% and a whole raft of bizarrely named high strength ales......
In 2009, BrewDog launched a beer called "Tactical Nuclear Penguin", with 32% alcohol, which was claimed to be the strongest beer ever made.
In 2010, BrewDog announced "Sink The Bismarck", an apparent 41% ABV to reclaim the World's Strongest Beer title from Schorschbräu, who had produced a 40% ABV version of their Schorschbock.
Also in 2010, BrewDog produced a 55% ABV freeze-distilled beer called "The End of History", with the bottles packaged in small stuffed animals, priced at £500 and £700 each. Only 12 bottles were produced.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
During Prohibition, my dad's family availed itself of the legality of making your own beer for home use only and had bottles lined up in an unheated laundry room, and late one night they all popped their tops like a shooting gallery. I think some survived for the drinking.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Good solid choice there. They have a wide distribution network, Stone does as well, so you may be able to find their beers.
Good ole Pliny the Elder

Ehhh, I think Pliny is overrated, it's a solid IPA for sure, but it's feeling a little old fashioned now. Or maybe I built it too far up in my head before I tried it. (I collect breweries, been to over 350 in 2 years in 5 countries), I LOVE the art of beer.
No doubt, but it was one of the originals so credit is due for the reputaion.
My personal favs are "Punch you in the Eye-PA" by 50 West Brewery and "White Rajah" by Brewkettle. Neither are overly hoppy or fruity.
EDIT: Sampled a Ballast Point IPA that's called "Russian Mule" last night. Has ginger and lime. Yuck lol

Status
Not open for further replies.