Former Lurkers, What Made You Step Into The Light?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I had poor results when I started so I wanted to join so I could sell off my stuff. The forum required 100 posts, so I started posting. In that time, I learned everything I was doing wrong. Next, I tried smoking again. This time, I was smoking a better tobacco with tried and true technique. I believe it was the member with the Blackhouse obsession/Tattoo that set me straight. In any case, I never quit. I did eventually sell off my initial pipes and acquire a style that accommodated my smoking better. You guys are great. I enjoy this forum.

Mar 1, 2014
I like the way Kevin runs his ship.

(Wow, it’s been five years and I still feel like I’m one of the new guys. Of course compared to the people who have been smoking pipes for 50+ years that perspective is entirely correct.)

hello.jpg

piper64

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 21, 2018
Northern Ireland
I joined because people here have a wealth of experience in all aspects of pipe smoking. It has given me a lot of laughs as well as the tips and tricks of experienced members. Being a member of the forums has made my pipe smoking a much better past time.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Many things.

The information and vast amounts of knowledge shared, also the sense of humor in threads.

I also appreciate the layout and the forum rules. This is a well-managed place.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I don't post all that much, but I do read what's on here on a daily basis. I appreciate the different perspectives and the vast wealth of knowledge thrown in with a bit of sarcasm and good natured ribbing. It reminds me of the days when I worked in a Tobacco Shop and our motto was "Good price on tobacco and as much free abuse as you can handle". I like this site as it is educational, enlightening, and entertaining. Best of all, no commercials.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I usually hang out in the back row until I get a feel for the place. I have several interests and hobbies so I've been on numerous other forums where the environment can get, shall we say a little hostile. Especially to newbies and the repeated same questions over and over but I have never seen that here.
Never have I experience such an inviting and genuinely welcoming environment as such that we have here and I only lurked for a few hours before jumping in.
Haven't seen much bickering here and I think the fact that we keep politics out of the equation really helps. Also the sense of humor here, albeit a little dry at times can be very entertaining. (Talking to you Cosmic)!
Also, since there is no B/M within any reasonable distance from me, this is my place to hangout and smoke, make friends, research and get great advice. I know for a fact, the things I've learned here have shaved years off of my learning curve and pipe smoking is now a firmly ingrained part of my life. My ever growing cellar is a direct result of reviews here and at TR. Hobbies and interests come and go but piping for me, is for life. Looking forward to being here for a good long while.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
Fourteen days had passed without an "Where Can I Find Esoterica?" and so I just had to jump in.
Great community full of really reasonable people. It's hard to get the number of posts for Secret Santa/Buying/Selling if you don't have a lot to say. But great info here, and I wouldn't be on the Black Frigate or the 633 Train without your fine counsel and guidance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
clickclick, hey! Good to hear from you again, if only momentarily. Maybe you could post again with recent pipes of your creation. So, why didn't I lurk? The term blabbermouth comes to mind.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
I lurked for a few days before finally making my first post.

I can't remember what exactly brought me around to finally posting but I'm glad I did.
Great bunch of folks here.

Status
Not open for further replies.