PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
A DGT question for those who enjoy SWR Aromatic.

Have you ever tried smoking about 1/4 of a bowl of this one and then smoked the rest several hours later?

I like the blend as it is, but have noticed it makes this particular blend a drastically better smoke (for me at least). I have tried this with other blends, but haven't found any that improve so much as this one.

Are there any other blends that you may have found the DGT method to works wonders on?

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Interesting observation...I have not had that experience, but I don't usually "not" finish a bowl. I will remember that on a blend that "isn't quite right".

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I am an avid aro smoker, in particularly SWR. Never tried this though, will have to explore this during my next bowl.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Is it possible that your SWRA is a little too wet initially, and when DGTed it is at the optimal level of moisture?

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
To be honest, the improvement that I am seeing is with the flavor. It seems to bring out a more burley tobacco flavor. More "smokey nutty" flavor profile.

I don't thing it is due to moisture level change as the tobacco I have been smoking is fairly dry.

Definitely improves the SWR though.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
Is it possible that your SWRA is a little too wet initially, and when DGTed it is at the optimal level of moisture?

Good question, I feel aros greatly improve when they are dried properly.

Matter of fact, I dry all my tobaccos out first.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
DGT = Delayed Gratification Technique
Basically you smoke a little, let it go out, and come back to it later. Some tobaccos seem to taste differently.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Ask and you shall receive, perlaska.
I am neither a fan of SWR, nor the DGT. Not saying that one should NOT enjoy either, just that I personally, find them to be, well... awful.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
SWR has a place in my heart as it is the first pipe tobacco I 'liked' enough to buy more than once. I haven't tried the aromatic version yet.

Delayed gratification works on some blends better than others. I had a delicious bowl of Three Blind Moose yesterday that benefited from DGT.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I am neither a fan of SWR, nor the DGT. Not saying that one should NOT enjoy either, just that I personally, find them to be, well... awful.
I don't think that means one has to "disagree with a thread".

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Well then, from now on, I'll only post comments like "oh em gee, I ALSO love FVF!!!".
I shall be the most agreeable of dudes from here on out.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
lostandfound I can completely understand, tastes can be so different. And I think you are an already agreeable enough dude haha :D

Some of the tobaccos I have tried to let sit and smoke later tasted bad. I noticed this one basically by chance due to being interrupted and leaving the pipe overnight. Now it is one that I DGT on purpose. It made such a difference. Maybe it is the drying or getting rid of the prop glyc. that they douse the stuff in. I am not sure. I was wondering if anyone had knowledge of specific blends that DGT worked wonders on.

P

pipebuddy

No, I have not tried it. In fact, I only smoked a half bowl of SWA out of a pouch and that was it for me. It has the best aroma ever I have encountered for a pipe tobacco but unfortunately, it smoked very hot, was harsh and bite my tongue like one son of a gun.

I could buy a tin to see if it would be better, but I 'm not willing to spend 36 bucks in case the smoking experience is the same.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have yet to try the SWRA the regular SWR did not rock my boat. I do enjoy starting a bowl and letting it go out. Then giving it a go later. Not like two days later but some blends survive just fine to the next morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.