PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
From time to time, while wading through the loads of tobacco info online, I come across a phrase something like, "this tobacco is truly for the experienced pipe smoker." This is a question for those experienced folks.. What does that mean? Is there anything to it, or is it just a marketing trick? If you were talking with a less experienced pipe smoker, and you were discussing blends in this category, how would you finish the following sentence? "Well newbie, before you try a blend like that, you really need to learn to..."
Thanks for the help,

Bill

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That phrase is on Peterson Irish Flake. It's kind of a running joke with some of my friends, but we assume it means "this sh** is strong -- be careful."

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I don't pay much attention to set rules in pipe smoking.I break a lot of them.I just do things my own way.As a rule though a lot of pipe smokers and cigar smokers tend to drift over the years into stronger tobaccos.I smoked aromatics for 20 years then a friend gave me a Latakia blend to try.I fell in love with the first bowl.I probably would have liked the stronger tobaccos a lot sooner if I had tried them.The're no reason that a person couldn't like strong tobacco from the beginning.All you can do is try it and see if you like it.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It is a marketing line. Other manufacturers have picked it up after Peterson's Irish Flake.
In my experience, the translation is that the tobacco delivers a significant amount of nicotine.
In my opinion, this is a stupid line. I've been smoking a pipe for 15-years, but I am not too fond of getting hit with a ton of nicotine. I'm in it for the flavor, not the buzz. I use alcohol for that.
You could have a former cigarette smoker that switches to pipes, so he is a complete newbie when it comes to pipes, but he might like one of these nicotine-heavy. "For Experienced Smokers Only" blends.
Dumb.

gisboro

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
In my opinion, this is a stupid line. I've been smoking a pipe for 15-years, but I am not too fond of getting hit with a ton of nicotine. I'm in it for the flavor, not the buzz. I use alcohol for that.
+1 Kevin, well said.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Actually, I kind of enjoy having a warning label like that on the tins, so that I don't pick up a nicotine bomb on a whim. Definitely beats having "SMOKING KILLS" or pictures of someone vomiting on the label. "For :puffy:The Experienced Smoker" is so much more refined a warning.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Have you had at least one bowl of tobacco? If yes, you are by the definition of the word experienced, smoke whatever looks good!

Smoked Nightcap pretty early on and loved it, it's more a matter of taste than experience.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
This phrase could apply to VAs, which are high in sugar content and often burn hot. It takes experience not to puff too quickly and keep your mouth and pipe from getting burned.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The warning on Irish Flake is definitely applicable as it is one of the strongest blends on the market. When other companies use it, it is mostly a marketing ploy. I have a high tolerance for nicotine and I can only smoke Irish Flake on a full stomach.

Dec 24, 2012
I love Irish Flake too, but that stuff can knock me on my ass like few other blends. In fact, the only tobacco I have tried that in my view was stronger was G&H Irish brown rope - a good smoke, but man that shit packs a punch - G&H should use the line "Only for Superhero smokers or those with no central nervous system".

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I wouldn't pay no mind to that old saying. The idea, first put forth by tobacconists, and promulgated on pipe forums ever there after, is that beginners pipers start out on syrupy aromatics, preferably of the cherry variety, and slowly work their way up, passing through English then Balkan blends, finally maturing as refined VA smokers. High nic blends being reserved for the mature audience. I say start where you wish. There are no set rules.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Thanks for the insights. I'm curious about all the comments regarding nicotine content. Do you fellas often inhale when you smoke your pipe, or does the nicotine kick come happen for some even without inhaling? I smoke Bill Clinton style - no inhaling - and have never noticed any sort of "buzz."

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I never inhale and still get enough of a nicotine whallop from certain tobaccos that I have to stop smoking the bowl. I couldn't imagine inhaling something like Irish Flake, brown rope, 1792 or other high nicotine content pipe tobaccos...My head would explode.

Jul 12, 2011
This saying is only put there to scare enough pipers

off from buying up all our wonderfully delicious Virginia flake ;-)

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Everything you've heard, learnt or experienced with cigarettes has absolutely nothing to do with pipe smoking. The two are as different from each other as night and day. Pipes are not inhaled. To do so is to court death. Cigarette tobacco with its additives is as different from pipe tobacco as gasoline is to water. To approach pipe smoking with the preconceived notions of cigarette smoking is to miss the boat entirely. True they both involve lighting tobacco, but there the similarities end.

Status
Not open for further replies.