For How Long do you Mash/Brew/Infuse your Tea?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I remember when they introduced the round teabag then the pyramid shape teabag back in the 1990's. It was supposed to allow the leaves more room to move, or something. Didn't taste any different to me☕🤷🏻‍♂️.

I bet they spent a lot of money on r&d and had some smart fellows working on that. I mean, working on the pyramid teabag is inventing something. Not exactly the Wright brothers though, is it?

View attachment 246778
It's just marketing. Saying something different to try and encourage you away from what you normally drink.

But it has no affect on the flavour.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My wife has 20-some boxes of different tea bags, each with its own set of instructions.

I have the giant 240 count box of PG Tips. I used to do 3 minutes but some time ago moved it up to 4.

Slightest splash of half-n-half and off to the races.

Based off a recommendation from Alton Brown, I'll occasionally replace the half-n-half with a light teaspoon of condensed (evaporated? can't recall) milk.

I, too, will likely avoid the "new-fangled" product.

1694727359246.png

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I am absolutely certain that you would turn your nose up at the traditional Southern mint iced tea that I make.
I steep for three minutes, 2 family sized tea bags and about 2 oz of my home grown mint. Then add one cup of sugar, and pour into a gallon sized container and add water to top it off to a gallon. Then, in the fridge till cold.

I've tried to drink tea the English way, but I just never developed a taste for it. But, I am smart enough never to offer an Englishman my tea.

I like most Southern US things, but the tea-colored sugar syrup you guys are infatuated with definitely ain't one of 'em.

In fact, if some historian discovered sweet tea was actually a Yankee war weapon pre-emptively introduced by secret means into Southern culture when the guys in DC saw the writing on the wall, I'd believe it. "Give 'em all the dya-beets and we won't have to fight 'em!"

It
I like most Southern US things, but the tea-colored sugar syrup you guys are infatuated with definitely ain't one of 'em.

In fact, if some historian discovered sweet tea was actually a Yankee war weapon pre-emptively introduced by secret means into Southern culture when the guys in DC saw the writing on the wall, I'd believe it. "Give 'em all the dya-beets and we won't have to fight 'em!"
It’s less a beverage for enjoyment than it is a high octane banjo fuel. puffy

Mandolin players are just meth heads. I just can’t move my fingers that fast up and down a cheese grater. Ha ha.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
I’m a nasty Cathy - I just leave the tea bag in while I drink. But I also almost exclusively drink herbal “teas”, which might actually be a greater offence 🤔. Now and then I’ll have a jasmine silver needle white tea, and in those rare circumstances I steep for 2-3 minutes at 80 degrees celsius.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Double posting because last time I tried to edit a comment to reply, I borked it bigtime.

Probably all fannings and dust - mostly dust is my guess
The cynic in me wonders if this isn’t clever marketing to sell the tea equivalent of floor sweepings - maybe the only real breakthrough was creating a fine enough mesh to keep the dust inside the tea bag, allowing them to sell this finer grade?

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
After 2 - 3 minutes I'll then squish the teabag a couple more times before bringing it out with tea tongs and give it one final squeeze afore ditching it.
I've heard they're a bit hardier in the North. Wellies and all that:
"Tea needs time to unlock all its flavour, so give it 4-5 minutes to do its thing."

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
If having it black, then 1 tea bag, left for 2 mins , dunked a couple of times, then out

If having with condensed milk, then 3 bags left for 4-5 minutes, then mashed against the side of the mug.
And a large dollop of condensed milk 😋
Has to be added it's an occasional indulgence.

Oh, water at 100c (ie boiling) but in a mug at room temperature which cools the water down somewhat.
I can't be bothered faffing around with correct temperatures 😁

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I brew bags straight in the cup as well. 4 minutes for black tea. 7 minutes if I'm making an herbal tea for my wife. Why you ask? Because Twinnings/Bigelow say that's how you do it. As @cosmicfolklore said, southern style sweet iced tea is a whole different animal. We ask if you want a glass of tea. (even if it's in a plastic cup)

Reactions: JOHN72

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Tea Bag? 1-2 minutes or less.

Loose Tea? I leave it in my cup, so I use less of it, to my taste. Trial and error in the latter based on the Tea.

Green Teas? Doesn’t matter and I leave it.

Black Teas? I use less and leave it.

Russian Caravan / Lapsang? A level teaspoon, I leave it. I like add with milk to these teas.

Common theme for me? I don’t like tannic tea.

On edit. -I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that Russian Caravan with Milk and a touch of Honey last winter had become my favorite accompaniment to Granger. It just seemed to make the bowl pop with flavor.

Pegasus always gets Black coffee or coffee with just cream.

Between these two blends, I could happily live with this simple rotation.

Reactions: JOHN72

Pipe&Pen

Lurker
Mar 28, 2023
Maryland
Around 3 minutes for green tea, 5-6 for black tea. Maybe a little less time if I’m not adding milk, a little longer if I am. Herbal teas I leave the teabag in the mug and just take it out of the flavor gets to be stronger than I care for.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If having it black, then 1 tea bag, left for 2 mins , dunked a couple of times, then out

If having with condensed milk, then 3 bags left for 4-5 minutes, then mashed against the side of the mug.
And a large dollop of condensed milk 😋
Has to be added it's an occasional indulgence.

Oh, water at 100c (ie boiling) but in a mug at room temperature which cools the water down somewhat.
I can't be bothered faffing around with correct temperatures 😁
Ou contraire, mon ami! Your method wins the prize for most precise temp. But I guess you're not faffing about with such a simple and fool proof method..