For How Long do you Mash/Brew/Infuse your Tea?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Feel like sharing your scone recipe?
It's just a typical, simple recipe. As with all baked goods, the quality of the ingredients matters. Everything has to be well chilled and blended minimally. I use eggs, butter, and buttermilk from a local farm - so it's all incredibly fresh thus retaining full flavor and excellent baking properties. I buy name brand cake flour that's been finely sifted - so I up the baking powder by a couple grams. That way I get good rise without sacrificing texture.
400° oven on the convection setting. After the first 4 or 5 minutes I don't take my eyes off of them - ensuring they're removed at the right time.

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
It appears that tea giant PG Tips has upset the traditional tea drinkers of the UK with their new fangled 60 second teabag :eek:. Apparently they spent £50m in bringing it to market which quite baffles me.

Now I'm no purist but I do like a properly made cuppa and I'm struggling to see how 60 seconds would be sufficient time to get the best of your tea be it teabags or loose tea.

My preference is to make it in the cup/mug using a teabag. I pour on the water then squish the teabag with a spoon against the cup/mug to expel the air and allow the teabag to fully submerge.

After 2 - 3 minutes I'll then squish the teabag a couple more times before bringing it out with tea tongs and give it one final squeeze afore ditching it.

If I was to use one of my teapots then I would allow the tea to mash for at least 4 minutes (in a prewarmed pot) simply because I wouldn't be able to get the teabags to sink. Of course loose tea would be no problem.

So guys, do you think this might catch on? I have my doubts.

Regards,

Jay.
I much prefer loose leaf tea.

Reactions: mawnansmiff