PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Hello all

A few months ago I bought a fountain pen, a Cross Century II. Cue the inevitable forum-searching and overhwelming wealth of information which only the internet can provide; which nib? where is X pen now made? what kind of ink is best for which nib-type? How does X perform on Y paper? Ah, the inevitable downgrading of the better-known marques as production is increased. But I happened upon this company http://nakaya.org/en/gallery.aspx?body=Briar and I thought some of our members might be interested. They certainly seem to be the business and their prices equate to a run-of-the-mill Mont Blanc.
Also, if you haven't checked out the British series Broadchurch, I strongly suggest you watch Season 1. Truly powerful.

Lastly, I have managed to track down some long-lost Trilok Gurtu albums. Am currently listening to The Glimpse. Good stuff!

Please feel free to add your own lesser-known cultural gems to this thread. I look forward to reading about them. :)

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Thanks for the heads up on Trilok Gurtu
I just finished listening to one of his solos, check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsLwiyJLsI
Great percussionist
Thanks for the post.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
No problem at all. I've seen Mr Gurtu live three times and each time was magical. He's not for everyone and his music does inevitably suffer from "noodler's syndrome" at times- a big danger in high jazz which I do recognise. But when he gets it right, there are few that can touch him. I distinctly remember him tuning one of his tabla on stage "They were in tune when I bought them!" It was the smaller tabla. He tuned it to the third-highest note on a grand piano. I saw Arkeology live- with an Italian string quartet, fusing East and West perfectly. What will not be apparent when listening to that album is, Mr Gurtu plays both the percussion and kit drums simultaneously. That was quite a sight.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
This is what I use
6qck7r.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.