Food Dehydrator For Drying Moist Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
3 Fresh Davide Iafisco Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
12 Fresh Brigham Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
More and more I'm reading how some tobaccos that are moist out of the pouch, need time to sit in the open air overnight to dry out so the proper flavor can come out (or at least to minimize the goopiness that can occur at the bottom of the bowl, and ruin the flavor, when the tobacco is too moist).
But I don't want to wait overnight for smoke ready tobacco! The thought of using a food dehydrator occurred to me, why wait 8hrs when you could use a dehydrator and have it ready in more like 5min?
So now I'm on the hunt for a small/portable dehydrator and am wondering if anyone else has already tried this and has some hints/tips/thoughts on the matter.
Thanks!

If you're talking aromatics, drying the topping off will kill the flavor, as the goop is the good stuff, IMO. Whenever an aro dries on me, I just toss it out. Because all that is left is a back of the throat burley, for me. However, on a Virginia or VaPer, I want them crunchy. But, a dehydrator seems like overkill, unless you're talking FVF or Dark Star. For those two, I might just try a dehydrator, lol.
I might suggest that if a dry aromatic is what yo prefer, try MacBarons Vanilla Flake or HD's Original Mild Orange. They are Virginia based aros, and they come already fairly dry, with almost no topping. I'm sure there are more aromatics like these.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
On further thought, getting a food dehydrator just for the purpose of drying out some overly moist baccy seems like overkill...Let me start a more appropriate discussion on ways to accelerate drying out moist baccy.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Namuna
I use a hair dryer with the tobacco in a strainer during the humid months. This is the fastest way

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I cut my tobacco into cubes and then let it air dry for however long it needs. I never rush the hands of time because it will ruin the flavor if you do. Using a hair dryer changes the humidity much too quickly and it is a known scientific fact that drying to quickly looses flavor by up to 34.27 percent. Look it up, you will see I am right.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Food dehydrators get pretty hot, after seeing what it does to meat, I don't think I would put tobacco through that torture. Incandescent light bulbs put out some decent heat, you could set one up to make the temp slightly above room temperature to speed up drying in a gentler way. We use them to heat brooders for chicks and can get temperatures above 90f.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
There are no short-cuts to smoking excellence. I prefer a wet tobacco as I know it will be fine until I decide to smoke it. If I want some FVF I lie two flakes out on a underside of the tine and put a desk lamp near it, wait for half an hour then rub. Easy peasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.