PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnolomweb

Lurker
May 30, 2013
While I truly enjoy smoking outside with classical music; I enjoy it more when the smoke has a friend.

I smoke about two bowls a day and have made what I believe is good headway on my tobacco journey. I enjoy full flavored tobaccos with a straight forward top note and possess mysterious subtleties. The straight forward flavors I find pair more easily with different drinks (during smoke) and foods (after eating)
A few pairings that I have designated to staples are as follows:

McCraines Red Ribbon paired with Bogle Merlot 50/50 with Club soda.

DunHill NightCap paired with Glenlivet18 80/10/10 with sweet vermouth and ice.

Paladin BlackCherry/mcclelland Vanilla Black Cavendish/Carterhall 70/20/10 after eating Vanilla or Cherry icecream.
Other tobaccos (that I have too much of that I don't like) that don't have a friend:

Pips n' Cigars "best of the rest" -- don't know what do to with the 14oz I have left.

Capt'n Black regular -- 12oz left that I'm trying to plow through when I have nothin better to do.
A few questions:

What are your favorite pairings?

What nonwastefull things should I do with large quantities of unliked tobacco?

Favorite full flavored straight forward tobaccos? (specifically VaPer)

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I like strong coffee in the am, and brandy or cognac in the pm with my smokes. As far as unwanted tobacco, send a private message to a fellow forum member in need. Sharing is caring.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I really enjoy any good, complex latakia blend with peated scotch, my favorite of each being Nightcap and Talisker 10yr. I've also recently found an unexpected but excellent pairing by smoking GLP Fillmore (only VaPer I've smoked so far, but seems pretty strong in both perique and overall flavor) while drinking Kraken dark spiced rum. The rum's molasses-y sweetness compliments the tobacco's earthy, spicy sweetness perfectly. Neither is my favorite drink or tobacco type alone, but it's possibly the best combination I've found yet.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Some of my best piping is after a good meal. It used to be that way too when I smoked nails. I wonder why that is. A smoke after a meal with a cup of coffee. Almost like they were made for each other. Like you eat so you can smoke.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
I had a nice glass of Malbec wine last night, and found it was almost perfectly matched with Peterson's 2012 Summertime blend. They were shockingly complimentary.
As far as unwanted tobacco, send a private message to a fellow forum member in need. Sharing is caring.
Like someone who lives in a country with ridiculous tobacco taxes, like say, oh gee, I don't know, Canada? :wink:

ovidsmuse

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
I could probably write a book on this,but I'm on my tablet so I'll leave the most important observation I have found so far. Most dry sparkling wines pair amazingly with Va and Vapers. Also,when pairing red wine and tobacco keep carbonated water handy to drink and rinse with. Sip your pipe, then your wine and finish with carbonated water. This helps keep the sugars from giving you bite and makes the entire experience more enjoyable.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Sometimes I pair a good English blend with Lapsang Souchong Star tea. The smokey flavour of the tea is a wonderful complement to the pipe tobacco. I have a friend I smoke with once or twice a month and we have been enjoying a wee dram of Forty Creek Canadian Rye Whiskey with our bowls. Twice he has broken out his Glenfiddich "Snow Pheonix" which was a birthday gift from a European friend. Phenomenal treat! I am partial to English Blends with solid latakia content. I enjoy the bolder flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.