PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
>> Does anyone know where, or who stills sell the Flying Dutchman Pipe Tobacco. I can't find it anywhere. ...

thanks, taztime :(

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I gave up on Flying Dutchman when they switched from tins to pouches.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I tried the match and it burned way too hot for my taste. I'm still a novice (two year continuous apprenticeship plus non-continuous going back seven years) so take that for what it's worth but I would try two ounces before you made a large commitment. I doubt it's flying out of the jars (pun not intended, at first).

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I'd like to try the tobacco, but it's hard to believe it would live up to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVgS03XLWwE

frjacob

Lurker
Jul 21, 2014
Flying Dutchman was all that was in my pipe from 1964 to 1979. Like another poster, I quit when they switched from tins to pouches. The pouch or tin with a plastic bag and a tie wrap smelled like and had the aroma of the tinned version, but I thought was unsmokable. It always did burn very hot, but dried out (as it always was except from the tin), the heat was beyond bearable, and it never tasted quite right. My wife and daughters loved the aroma and I liked the taste and occasional whiff you get as you smoke a tobacco. The Altadis match is somewhat reminiscent of the old blend, but has nothing of the aroma. If you think it burns hot you should have had the original. What they are making in Europe you can get through Germany (I understand they have the original recipe), and which I went to the trouble to get. It tastes a lot as I remember the old stuff, but it lacks the aroma. Neither it nor the Altadis match burns as hot as the original. It had to be smoked very, very slowly and usually left a dottle in my pipe that you dared not relight. If you liked it you liked it, if you didn't you raved against it. I miss it. My wife says anything else just smells like tobacco. Try Troost Special for a dutch cavendish, which is what it was. Troost aromatic is nothing like it. If Peter Stokkebye Dutch Cavendish Natural had whatever the aromatic was the original had, it would be similar. Some say the aromatic was vanilla or vanilla + licorice. I myself have never tasted (or smelled), anything like it, really. If anyone can identify that aromatic I'd love to hear about it.

robertelliott

Lurker
Nov 5, 2012
TRY PIPES AND CIGARS

CATORGORY : TIN TOBACCO / MATCH

SOME OF THE OLD BLENDS THAT ARE NO LONGER IN PRODUCTION ARE

BEING REPRODUCED IN THIS FORM. :puffpipe:
HAPPY MORTAL ! HE WHO KNOWS PLEASURE WHICH A PIPE BASTOWS" ISAAC HAWKINS BROWN

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my review of the Match if it helps:

In the Match, there’s a small amount of black cavendish that imparts a mellow vanilla flavor that compliments a mild licorice topping. In supporting roles are a light honey hit from the gold cavendish, and some hay/grass from the Virginia. The burley is slightly nutty. Because this is a Dutch-style blend, there’s a lightly persistent herbal spice note from start to finish. A sipping blend that may need a little dry time, but provides a consistent taste. In comparing this to the 1970s version, I find the Match to be superior. The original was shag cut and packaged dry, so it tended to burn hot and bite worse than virtually any blend I have ever tried. Not even hydration could stave off the bite, though it did enhance the herbalness. The Match is ribbon cut and not dry, does not bite, has more depth of similar flavors with a sweeter topping, is less spicy and herbal, and a vastly smoother, richer smoke.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Flying Dutchman is/was manufactured by Royal Theodorus Niemeyer of Groningen, The Netherlands. I am not certain if it is still, as a quick search of one overseas Website this morning listed it as no longer available, but on another it appeared to be in stock. Perhaps the latter is selling off existing inventory?
I have only tried the pouched version, and enjoy its flavor and aroma; however, because of its very fine long cut (imagine something akin to strands of 00 steel wool) it does tend to burn hot, even when sipped slowly. For those who have tried the tinned version, was its cut the same?

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Niemeijer ceased production of FD a few years ago. Any Flying Dutchman still around is old stock.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the great review, Jiminks.

By the way, off topic, just ordered a couple of tins of Edward G Robinson yesterday. Looking forward to trying it.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the great review, Jiminks.
It may just be me but I have found that tastes I experienced as a young man did not play back as I had expected 30 and 40 years later. I have heard that your tastes (as in flavors) changes to some degree every 7 years. I have no education in that arena so I would not know that for a fact. I do know memory tends to put a bias good and bad on the past.
Jim's review places FD in a category I am interested in trying.
off topic,Jimlinks. I just ordered a couple of tins of Edward G Robinson yesterday. Looking forward to trying it.
Sorry doubled up on edit.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
" For those who have tried the tinned version, was its cut the same?"
From my exposure to FD in the 60's, the cut was the same. Very long and very thin. More like shag. I had a friend that smoked it exclusively but I did not like it.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
The tinned version was much moister and required a bit of drying time. The tins disappeared sometime in the early '70s, I don't remember the exact time.

Status
Not open for further replies.