PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I will cease and desist in order to avoid thread lock, but for the head scratching fellows, here's a fair starting point:

Report: Marine life has taken devastating hit over 40 years | CNN - https://www.cnn.com/2015/09/17/world/oceans-report/index.html

Note that the report is from 2012 and it is a logical assumption that the last decade has continued the trend, as population and demand have continued to climb.

That all said, I still love eating aquatic creatures and I still move out of mom's way when she locks her sights on a good surf & turf...

1657167856358.png

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I will cease and desist in order to avoid thread lock, but for the head scratching fellows, here's a fair starting point:

Report: Marine life has taken devastating hit over 40 years | CNN - https://www.cnn.com/2015/09/17/world/oceans-report/index.html

Note that the report is from 2012 and it is a logical assumption that the last decade has continued the trend, as population and demand have continued to climb.

That all said, I still love eating aquatic creatures and I still move out of mom's way when she locks her sights on a good surf & turf...

View attachment 155515
Thanks for that report which seems a great summary of the decline. I had read we allow some countries to abuse the rules more than others but thats political so we can't go there. I don't understand why we can't clean up the plastic with all the technology we have. Yes, I understand much of it is a floating island but still it can probably be recycled from what I've seen. Shark finning is poaching (like elephants) and those caught should be banned for a long period or permanently. Overfishing shpuld be strictly enforced.
Maybe for those countries that only eat seafood we could introduce some other foods.
I don't know. I'm going to add these problems to my prayer list now. I will also support any conservation and clean up efforts.

Jan 27, 2020
Thanks for that report which seems a great summary of the decline. I had read we allow some countries to abuse the rules more than others but thats political so we can't go there. I don't understand why we can't clean up the plastic with all the technology we have. Yes, I understand much of it is a floating island but still it can probably be recycled from what I've seen. Shark finning is poaching (like elephants) and those caught should be banned for a long period or permanently. Overfishing shpuld be strictly enforced.
Maybe for those countries that only eat seafood we could introduce some other foods.
I don't know. I'm going to add these problems to my prayer list now. I will also support any conservation and clean up efforts.

I very much agree. Although I ate some tuna last night I usually avoid it as I find other fish to be more tasty and less stressed by overfishing. So, I can both have my fish and continue to eat it too...

Jan 27, 2020
The BBC has this interesting piece on the Bajau people of Southeast Asia who are the best free divers in the world. Apparently their spleens have evolved over the years which allows them to stay underwater longer than a normal person.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
We used to fish and get limits of flounder each time. just clean powder and fry. You could eat the fins and smaller bones. There just isn't the fish stocks there were 30 years ago. Everything has been taken away from the recreational fisherman and given to the commercial guys who just wipe out the ecosystem.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
This thread had me looking for flounder. The major supermarket didn't have it. Aldi did for $6.99 per pound.

I picked up a package and am still debating what to do with it. Possibly just a light seasoning with lemon or pick up some crab cakes for a crab stuffed flounder.

There was also a seafood medley of shrimp, scallops, mussels, and calamari, but I think that would be more for a Bouillabaisse (which I also enjoy).

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Cook them in a large buttered skillet, having cut flounder down the middle on large side, mash yourcrab cakes flatter and insert in flounder pocket drizzling butter over it, you may want to precook crab cakes a little before folding them in flounder, use lemon juice drizzle also, some people put them under broiler for a couple mimutes but be careful not to burn,

Jan 27, 2020
This reminded me: My wife loves Indian Shad. However, she would never buy stuff only for her.

So I went out today and bought a 4 and half pounder which was caught in Bangladesh. 90% of this for my wife - but my sons and I will nibble the remaining 10%

This also has roe. Which all of us would enjoy

View attachment 155901

I never saw the row included in shad steaks like that. Will she cook it together or remove it when thawed to use separately? I am on Oak Tree every couple weeks I'm going to look for some at Swad next time!

Reactions: cshubhra
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
This reminded me: My wife loves Indian Shad. However, she would never buy stuff only for her.

So I went out today and bought a 4 and half pounder which was caught in Bangladesh. 90% of this for my wife - but my sons and I will nibble the remaining 10%

This also has roe. Which all of us would enjoy

View attachment 155901

Looks like you forgot to gut that thing.

• Haha

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess I'm not very well socialized so I never heard flounder had gone out of fashion. I've always enjoyed it as one of the best fish dishes, and I can get plenty of them from the coast of North Carolina. My wife will be reading the fish offerings from the market and say, "Oh, lucky you, they have flounder."

Wild caught catfish is also a delicacy to me. Often times the small fillets have no bones at all, and wild caught have tremendous flavor.

Another fish that is apparently a little unusual in flavor, though I think it is pretty wonderful, is Spanish mackerel, which comes in heavy runs along the North Carolina coast. My late wife and her dad used to hit runs where they caught as many as they could bait lines and get them back in the water off her dad's boat. The challenge was cleaning all those fish.

Then it was time for fish stew, and her dad's motto was, "If your nose runs, you know you have enough red pepper in the stew."

After all these fond memories, I just hope the fish stock is somehow maintained. The coast is still busy with commercial and sport fisheries. Even in the winter, walking down the beach, you can see the dolphins out there feeding.

I never saw the row included in shad steaks like that. Will she cook it together or remove it when thawed to use separately? I am on Oak Tree every couple weeks I'm going to look for some at Swad next time!
I bought the whole fish, and this is how the shop cut it. I have to clean it once it thaws. It is frozen as a rock.

We prefer to clean and separate the guts and roe and cook the roe separately. Many cook the roe with the fish, but for that I probably would have needed a fresh fish (Not frozen)

A better place would be a Pakistani halal meat shop. They often carry these. Of course I don’t visit Oak Tree Road often, so I don’t know which grocery / butcher shop has it.
I got it here, which will possibly be on your way. They always have a large stock.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
I bought the whole fish, and this is how the shop cut it. I have to clean it once it thaws. It is frozen as a rock.

We prefer to clean and separate the guts and roe and cook the roe separately. Many cook the roe with the fish, but for that I probably would have needed a fresh fish (Not frozen)

A better place would be a Pakistani halal meat shop. They often carry these. Of course I don’t visit Oak Tree Road often, so I don’t know which grocery / butcher shop has it.
I got it here, which will possibly be on your way. They always have a large stock.

Thanks again! Will check it up and get some tobacco paan after!

Jan 27, 2020
I went to a Greek restaurant the other day and had some swordfish. I've been a-hankering for swordfish for a while now but after having a whole steak I realized that something about it is almost too rich. I did enjoy it but it only made me realize that my true love is Flounder and similar fish. I think I'll buy a piece of flounder today. One of the other good things about flounder is how quickly it can be broiled. My girlfriend complains a bit when I use the oven in the summer as it heats up the apartment so quickly which isn't really a problem when flounder can be cook in under 15mins.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Well, I just looked it up, apparently it had more to do with them being Atlantic salmon and the native salmon not being able to compete with them. Still, pretty screwed up.

I do wonder how the quality / taste of farmed salmon differs between how they are raised etc. I do buy farmed salmon in a pinch and due to cost but I don't think it's my imagination or bias that they taste sort of "swampy" to me.
Farmed salmon are whitish…they add color into them. They are not pink because they are being fed a “food product “, not shrimp.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I made a basic crab stuffed flounder today. Simple, tasty, and legit.

Ingredients:
1 bag of frozen flounder fillets, a package of refrigerated crab cakes, old bay, dried lemon peel, salt and pepper, butter, and breadcrumbs.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Thaw fish under cold running water. Season fish in greased oven proof dish with salt and pepper, old bay, and dried lemon peel. Place 1.3 crab cakes on filet. Top with another seasoned filet. Dust with seasoned breadcrumbs and top with pats of butter.

Bake 20 minutes and broil 5 minutes.

Decent basic recipe for convenience. Should be adaptable to more upscale recipe, like with lemon zest, panko,better crab cakes, and an herbal, garlicky butter sauce. I can see it being decadent with hollandaise sauce too.