PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You can dry as many flakes as you like. I normally take 2-3 SG flakes which are pretty long, probably about 6" or so for the bulk flakes. I rub them out into a nice shag, dry and fill up a couple pipes at once. For the Mac Baren, usually two flakes will fill a group 5 or so pipe if rubbed into a shag. Have not tried the cube cut method yet.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I just cubed 3 flakes of the Macbaren. Maybe enough for 2 narrow bowls. Its tricky since the cubes seem to burn slower and expand a little more. I will try rubbing out some shag next time.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
OK. So they are getting better.

Smoked some HH Old Dark fired & that was the best for me so far.

Was very good!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
is it normal to only smoke one flake at a time ? Or does it depend how you prepare it?
It depends more on the size of the bowl than the way you prepare it.

A smaller size bowl will usually be fine with a single nice entire flake.

Larger bowls, two or even three.
You'll notice though that you will have bigger flakes and smaller ones in the same tin. So it's all a bit of trial and error until you find the happy medium. But hey.. that's part of the fun !

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Thanks!
I wasn't sure if one flake at a time was generally accepted, or if you just kinda eyeball it.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I've just tried St James flake twice today. I commented earlier about the smell as fresh whole grain bread. Some say dried figs or some other type of fruit. It is really a nice break from English types and gives much more variety. It needs to dry out more and I'm sure will be much better when I do that. I rubbed and broke up the flakes by tearing it and got a nice pack on it. Stay with it and you'll enjoy the experience.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I like SG flakes such as Best Brown and FVF (1792 not so much). I love McClelland flakes such as Blackwoods and Beacon. I am currently smoking a bowl of Christmas Cheer 2012. The secret with flakes is to smoke them as slow as possible...Yum!
PS: I usually rub them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.