PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I am trying to get a list together for a TAD order so looking for some opinions. I want to try more flake cut tobaccos. My wife got me Stokkebye's Navy Flake and Mac Baren's Dark Twist for Christmas and I really liked those. Those are the only flakes I every tried. I am looking at getting Stokkebye's Bulls Eye Flake and Twist Flake to see what those would be like. Any other suggestions or substitutions for the ones I listed?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Mac Baren's Roll Cake, Navy Flake and Vanilla Cream Flake are all good ones, as well as their Latakia Blend. Also McClelland's Navy Cavendish Flake and Blackwoods Flake, and if you can find some, their 2013 Christmas Cheer is amazing! I've also recently discovered Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls, an excellent blend!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This may not be helpful, but my favorite overall tobacco is Penzance, which comes as a flake but is very easily rubbed out. (In fact, it would crumble the minute anyone tried to fold-n-stuff it or take scissors to it.) Penzance is only released in tiny quantities, though, and these days it is selling out within minutes of going on-sale.
You can get a similar experience with J.F. Germain's Royal Jersey: Original Latakia Mixture flake, however. It's an excellent English flake that I highly recommend.
If you like the Stokkebye's Navy Flake, I'd highly recommend Samuel Gawith's Navy Flake.
For something a little different, I'd recommend Gawith and Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake and Rum Flake.
For me, the pinnacle of VA flakes is McClelland's Dark Star. i know you're a new member here, but I don't know how experienced you are as a pipe smoker. If you're new to pipe smoking in general, then I'd recommend an alternative: Butera's Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved. But if you try the Butera and enjoy it, then I'd definitely recommend moving on to Dark Star. It requires very slow smoking -- it won't bite, but it won't be very flavorful otherwise -- and it requires a lot of work to prepare for the bowl; it's the hardest, densest flake I've ever tried. (It has been compared to housing shingles and asphalt bricks.)
Happy smoking!
Bob

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I am somewhat experienced with pipe smoking but I have mostly smoked cavendishes. I am new to the flakes and really like the fuller flavor they have. I did have to look online to see how to work the flakes. haha I am used to just dumping the tobacco in the bowl and lighting it. Having to rub or fold it out was a new experience. Thanks for all of the advice on here.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Sam Gawith Medium Virginia Flake (aka. Golden Glow), Best Brown Flake

Solani Virginia Flake 633

A&C Petersen Escudo Navy Deluxe

Capstan Blue, and Yellow

Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster, and Tordenskjold Virginia Slices

Orlik Golden Sliced

Erik-Stokkebye 4th Generation 1931 Flake

Esoterica Peacehaven -- if you can find it. It's more available than Stonehaven!

Sillem's Mayor 1814
Well, there are so many more I could go on and on -- and these are only the favorites that come to mind on the spare of the moment!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
What is the fascination everyone has with flakes? I mean, it costs the same or more than if the manufacturer rubs it out. Is there really something to the taste or do people just like the act of stuffing, folding, rubbing or whatever they do to prepare it?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
You'll like the Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake. Few find fault with it. The Luxury Twist Flake is an entirely different animal: some love it, others are disappointed. Definitely worth trying though. Additionally, I couldn't recommend Escudo more highly. Not a true flake, but rather a coin or medallion like the Bullseye Flake, it still should be near the top of your list.
In addition to those, I would recommend Capstan Blue Flake and Dunhill Flake for Virginias. On the sweeter side, for something different, I would highly recommend Peterson University Flake and, sweeter still, Erinmore Flake.
For a more narurally sweet, stewed fruit taste and an interesting, easy to smoke, loosely pressed flake, I would recommend Rattray's Marlin Flake and Orlik Golden Slicex. The OGS is a standard flake in the 50g tin but one large, loosely pressed flake (like Marlin) in the 100g tin.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
The act of stuffing, folding, rubbing or whatever is a cool part of the process I enjoy but it is the seemingly intensified flavors and slow burning characteristics of flake cut tobacco that makes it worth it for me. I also don't smoke everyday and with multiple tins open the flakes seem to hold moisture and last a bit longer for me than loose cut.
Erinmore Flake is a good one. Sweet Virginia with a slight fruity note.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
shutterbug:
Flavors marry in a flake to a much greater extent than in a loose cut. That doesn't stop once a blend is tinned. And I can honestly say that I've never had a flake yet whose flavor was duplicated in any other cut. In other words, there is no loose-cut version of Penzance or Full Virginia Flake, etc., etc. So if you want to try those flavors/blends, a flake is the only option.
Compare MacBaren's Vanilla Cream with their Vanilla Cream Flake. I think you'll notice a significant difference. Or order a blend both loose and pressed from Cornell & Diehl; they are willing to press any of their blends, I believe. The results would be similar to a pre-cut flake. I think you'll see the difference it can make.
Bob

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Dunhill Flake is pretty much a classic. It's very highly regarded if you like straight VAs. Personally, I wasn't a huge fan, but I've only smoked a couple of bowls of it right when I bought it. It's in a jar right now aging and hopefully when I pull it out next time I'll get the hang of it. I need to try it with some different packing methods and in some different pipes...those things have had a huge impact on other tobaccos for me.
Christmas Cheer is also a great VA Flake (albeit a broken flake). CC is a fantastic tobacco every year and it's even better with age on it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
petes03's post piqued my interest in a neglected tin of Mac Baren Navy Flake that had been in my cellar for about 3 years.

I tried a couple of flakes last night and I was very impressed. Nice dried-fruit and rye-like flavor with lots of nuance, refreshing

sweetness and an ineffable hint of liqueur. I'd rank it among the better Burley-Va flakes available; and at just over $13 for 100g.

-- half the cost of Capstan (and, IMO, better) -- it's a very good buy.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I would try Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, Dunhill's Flake, Gawith's Best Brown Flake (more like a cake) and Erinmore's Flake (not mixture) and finally Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster for a flavorful Flake.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I enjoy a lot of different flakes. The ones open beside my smoking chair right now are as follows.
Brigham Klondike Gold(currently smoking this cube cut in a Comoy's bend rhodesian)

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Fribourg & Treyer Vintage Flake

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake

Dunhill Flake

Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake
Just from those my favorite is the Brigham. This is an amazing flake.

B

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Newminster No.400 Superior Navy Flake and Newminster No.403 Superior Round Slices.Very good with some age and a great price...

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I just tried mclellends fragrant matured cake it's a broken virginia flake with a maple casing and I gotta say I loved it.

Yeah this is a breakthrough flake for those who like aro's who are looking to get into Va's. It's great stuff, kind of like amphora red. I used to take some of that McC's FMC and blend it with captain black and it was amazing stuff. I don't know what captain black it was, it was just a container this guy gave me who ryo smokes and got it from the states, probably white, but it had a great chocolate taste and people around me were going crazy for the smell. I would recommend the McC's FMC over Luxury twist flake anyday, it's twice the price though.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Ya for sure Andrew,
I tried it on a whim and I'm glad I did turned out to be good stuff, and with me it didn't bite one bit. Just tasted like an extra sweet Virginia to me the maple casing really compliments the natural sweetness in Virginias. And your right it would be great for smokers coming from aros wanting to venture into Virginias.

Status
Not open for further replies.