PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Loose tobacco sure is easier and quicker to pack out of the tin.
Sure! But plug, cake and thick juicy flakes are to tobacco what whole fresh coffee beans are to making coffee!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I have the hardest time trying to get flake to smoke well when folded and stuffed. I usually end up going with a cube cut. Let it dry and I'll get the char light on it and leave it. Delayed gratification works really well for Virginia's.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Crash, you say "tapered draught hole"...how is that made? Presumably tapering down in size from the end of the shank down to the bowl perhaps?
I do wonder if in a blind smoke one could distinguish a pipe with a tapered draught hole and one with a regular draught hole...the difference to me would seem to be indistinguishable.
On the fold and stuff method, I have tried many times yet never got it to work. Subsequently I just loosely rub out, air for a while then fill up :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
This video cracked fold and stuff for me.

https://youtu.be/733OzTBYYwA

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for that link Dave, I just watched it and another so will make yet another attempt myself later in one of my newly arrived Blakemar pipes using some Brown Sugar Flake.
Actually watching that video helped make sense of what Crash was saying regards a 'flake pipe' though I'm still puzzled by the tapered draught hole thing :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I think he meant tapered bowl where it get narrower near the draught hole like a Dublin shaped pipe.
Thanks for the video Dave I'll be trying that out tonight!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Fitzy and Jay, to be honest, I let the pipe maker understand the engineering of the pipe. I only know minimally what he is talking about until I get further in my pipe making and need to get my head around that aspect. If that video helps, I next recommend that you commission a flake pipe from Tim Thorpe. Perhaps that is the final step that you are missing. His pipes really helped me tackle the fold and stuff method, and got me hooked on flakes. I give him a shape, he engineers around my requests, we are both happy.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Don,Jay glad it helped although I find dubinthedam's method better for chewing gum type flakes.I came across another video that deals with SG and GH flakes more successfully. I'll try find it and post.

Crash good luck with your endeavours I'd sooner do the valve clearances on my bike than try to work out the mystical engineering of pipe making!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
It took me a while to get the hang of folding and stuffing a flake, but I'm very glad I stuck with it. For me the moisture level is key, and it's fine if a flake gets a little crispy around the edge as there is plenty of moisture left in the compressed tobacco. Looooong, cool smokes result, especially when outdoors. And of course, it's by far the most convenient method of prepping and packing flake.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I next recommend that you commission a flake pipe from Tim Thorpe."
If only Crash, living on a disabled pension such luxuries are way beyond my means. That said, I have been able to acquire perfectly good 'basic' pipes for what even I would regard as low prices.
Today I received two new Blakemar Briars pipes from their lowest range and am thus far delighted though one does burn a little on the warm side :|
Regards,
Jay.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I love my flakes. The first time I 'folded & stuffed' was a pleasant surprise. It was capstan flake, which I'd always rubbed out the whole tin in one go before. A much slower burn & more increased taste ensued, & I've been doing ever since. Some flakes I've found however, just won't have it, & are better off rubbed out. It all depends how you like to smoke, with flakes it very much depends on you & how you like to smoke/prepare etc. Which is one of many reasons, I love my flakes!

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
I'd also agree that folding&stuffing makes a slower and better smoke but sometimes you just don't have the time. Rubbing never disappoints either.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
There's nothing wrong with basic pipes, Jay. I am sorry to hear that, I don't mean any disrespect if they are out of your price range. Although, despite his usual commission prices, his pipes sometimes go for less than $100 through him or on ebay. Many of my pipes are inexpensive and amazing smokers.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I don't mean any disrespect if they are out of your price range."
Crash, I never for one moment thought you were being disrespectful, you were simply posting a suggestion, a suggestion that could well be useful to someone.
The fact is we all have pockets of differing depths...I have no issue with that and am certainly not complaining at my lot :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.