PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmpeace

Lurker
Apr 1, 2017
Welcome! I’d say one thing that should be mentioned, don’t be afraid to use a pipe cleaner during the smoke. If you get gurgling or a funky taste usually a quick pass of the pipe cleaner down the stem will do it. Enjoy and try multiple varieties. I was all aromatic until I tried an English, instantly fell in love. The English was Shepherds Pie by the country squire. Also check out the country squire radio podcast/YouTube videos. You’ll learn a ton!

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
You're at the right place. I doubt one can figure out in short time what he likes, a pipe tobacco world is far too big to try everything that is available.

I've been following this community for more than two years now and it has taught me a lot. You will probably go through everything that at some point everybody here has experienced.

My biggest mistake was not drying tobacco enough. A pipe of bone dry tobacco still tastes better than a wet one. Next thing: not sure if it's worth to save on cheap tobaccos. I started with premium tobaccos, they burnt my tongue and I wasted some, but smoking only the cheap stuff would have discouraged me at the very beginning. And the most important: listen to yourself. We're all different and it's normal that not everybody will agree with you. There's a wise proverb: 100 people, 100 miracles. Or to be more vulgar: 100 women, 200 tits. :D Good luck!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Some good advice here.
Cobs are great pipes. The first couple of bowls has a vegetable taste but then it's plain sailing.
When I first smelt an English blend for the first time I thought it smelt of asphalt, burnt rubber and butt. It didn't taste too bad though and was even better once I mixed it 50/50 with plain Virginia.

Now I smoke mild latakia blends a lot but it did take me time to acquire a taste for it.
Buying an ounce of different blends and genres is the way to go.

If you don't like a blend, just store it in a jar. In time you might like it as your tastes will change.

Most newbies go for flavoured aromatics, many of which are way too moist which burns ones mouth.

Better to start off with semi-aromatics and non-aromatics IMO.
As an inhaler I only smoke blends no stronger than mild to medium with low levels of nicotine.
I'd recommend;

Orlik Golden Sliced - very popular because it's so good.

SPC Plum Pudding and Mississippi River - both are a great introduction to latakia blends.

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Bullseye Flake. - a great introduction to perique [known as a VaPer. Virginia with perique]

Carter Hall - a very good burley dominant blend.
I'm not big on aromatics as a rule but when in the mood for a sweeter smoke or when around others one can't go past;

Scotty's Butternut Burley.

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake.

Mark Twain.
Welcome to the fraternity and enjoy.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Before I found pipe forums I seriously had little clue.

Reactions: UncleRasta

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
asphalt, burnt rubber and butt
Righto, chopper; actually I think that's the best description of it I've ever heard! Usually people will say it smells like burning rope/socks or somebody's old shoe, or my personal experience favorite, "rank." Just that, nothing else. Fortunately my *wife* actually *likes* the smell, of straight latakia particularly. I loved the (*OLD!) Balkan Sobranie. A kind soul did the the favor of giving me some of the new. After I smoked it I knew why he had enough available to share. BLECH!! NOTHING like the old stuff. :(
Bill

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Bill Nichols my first blend was a rather generous sample of Becks ol' Limey Bastard.

After sniffing the 'rank' stuff I thought "Do people smoke this stuff?" so naturally I had to try it, lol.

At first I'd smoke one small bowl at night. One was good, two bowls were one too many.
I've got a pound of latakia cellared [to mix with homegrown Virginia and burley to make Kake] It's aroma has not improved to my senses, lol.
Have not tried the old nor new Balkan Sobranie [Choice here in Oz is pathetic] Even though I now like mild English blends, I would still thin out a blend with Virginia that was too heavy handed with the latakia.

Status
Not open for further replies.