PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I don't think you need to do anything to it. I can understand your reluctance to smoke a pipe covered in an un-known substance and I do tend to rub any excess off with a damp finger or cloth. If nothing comes off I feel confident that it will be fine to smoke. Peterson might have had some q.c. issues of late but I don't think somebody in the factory decided to use noxious paint instead of their normal process for this bowl!

Do bear in mind that some pipes can taste very bitter at the end of the first two or three smokes, due to oils or resins not being cured-out 100%. I had one pipe that made me almost want to throw up and I did go and brush my teeth after the smoke, but it was fine by the fourth smoke. I have no experience of customising or restaining a pipe and would strongly advise against doing this without a lot of research.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
You ought not have messed with it, people should trust a pipe maker's manufacturing process and not mess with the finished product. It is beyond me why so many new smokers choose to do the salt and alcohol as soon as they acquire a new pipe. It is a waste and a shame, and completely unnecessary.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Welcome eurin! Try not to stress too much, you didn't ruin anything. You will learn with time. Enjoy your Peterson!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Well Im new to pipe smoking and starting out with estate pipes and dont worry about anything I do generally. They are not high end pipes but are old, aged well, and broke in nicely. You might want to buy a cheaper pipe so you wont be a nervous about damaging the prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.