PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Just finished my first smoke on my new Savinelli Trevi Rusticated (320 KS) . It’s has a nice big bowl, feels good in the hand so no complaints there . I loaded it up with some Dunhill Night Cap and proceeded to smoke away . So I am not exactly sure what the issue may have been but I noticed the taste of my tobacco was on the bitter side . Is this because the pipe needs to be “broken in”? Now the pipe does come with a carbon coating , I guess it is, from the factory as a seal.
So I am not to sure what would have effected the taste ? Any thoughts ?

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Hope that’s all it is because the thing smoked for over an hour . Will give it a few bowls and hope that clears things up

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I get a bitter taste from almost all new pipes, but it goes away pretty quickly.
Some people recommend smoking Carter Hall in a new pipe to break it in, as apparently it builds cake really easily. I've always smoked the blends I intend to smoke in the pipe to break it in, but I can see not wanting to 'waste' one's good tobacco when it's all but guaranteed to be a sub-par smoke.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I’ve experienced this recently in one of my new pipes.

I noticed a slight sour taste. I’m just going to keep using it and getting it well caked.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Swab out the shank with q-tips and alcohol, I bet there is a bit of stain in there.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Damn I love my 320’s. Outstanding smokers for sure. (Thanks anthonyrosenthal74)
OP, I experienced the same exact thing. Just gut through it for a few more bowls if you can. I promise it will be worth it.
Hmmmm... Might need to go take a look see at what’s available. The 320 always kills my attempt at taming the PAD beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.