PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Don't let the small size fool you - it can easily accommodate 3 Bull's Eye Flake coins. It smokes awesome and the draw is perfect.
FXST2te.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Let's see what he says, but I doubt it. Last I head there is a law against exporting uncarved meerschaum from Turkey. puffy
That raises the question about what Turkey considers uncarved. The thing that jumps out to me is the lack of the term unfinished. Though talking about laws in your own country that are written in a variation of your own native language devolves quickly into a game of telephone, and then multiple that by Turkey and in Turkish. And the intent of the law is probably focused more on keeping other countries out of the professional meer carving game.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Shikano53 did 2 cutty pipes for me. One in meerschaum that was @weezell's Xmas present last year which according to the Weeze is a brilliant pipe. He also did a gorgeous wooden 'cutty' with a silver band that was a gift for another dear friend of mine on this forum. The man is a very clever and talented pipe maker and he even rebuilt a road smash meerschaum 'cutty' we gave him as a patten.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
If I remember correctly.... some time back I read that years ago the Turks were exporting their raw meerschaum, mainly to Germany, where it was carved into pipes. The Turks came to realize that the Germans were making more money from their meerschaum than they were so they made a law that the meerschaum had to be in a finished form before it could be exported. Hence, the beginning of the Turkish pipe industry. Maybe they have relaxed that law? puffy

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
If I remember correctly.... some time back I read that years ago the Turks were exporting their raw meerschaum, mainly to Germany, where it was carved into pipes. The Turks came to realize that the Germans were making more money from their meerschaum than they were so they made a law that the meerschaum had to be in a finished form before it could be exported. Hence, the beginning of the Turkish pipe industry. Maybe they have relaxed that law? puffy
whn knows.0it is so easy to spread misinformation by accident on a thing like this. i was also told that the raw material isn't worth mining unless you can carve it and that it is the skill and time carving the pipe that makes the money. no real need for a law. but all we know for sure is what we can buy not 100% why it is that way. oh and that the name of the carver ballons the price more so then the mass of the material.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Let's see what he says, but I doubt it. Last I head there is a law against exporting uncarved meerschaum from Turkey. puffy
Yes, there is a law about exporting raw meerschaum blocks. The Turks way around this absurd law is to offer a quote 'Meerschaum' pipe. It shows an um-carved block of Meerschaum with a cheap stem poking out of it thus it gets through the law loop hole by implying it is an actual pipe. Here are a few links. It's not. It's a block of Meerschaum with a stem sticking out of it.

Don't ever call me a liar again asshole. I don't lie. Period. Never.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Yes, there is a law about exporting raw meerschaum blocks. The Turks way around this absurd law is to offer a quote 'Meerschaum' pipe. It shows an um-carved block of Meerschaum with a cheap stem poking out of it thus it gets through the law loop hole by implying it is an actual pipe. Here are a few links. It's not. It's a block of Meerschaum with a stem sticking out of it.

That first one linked is still better than I’d do 😂

• Love
Reactions: Ahi Ka

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

seems like that law would work to keep another country from successfully having a meerschaum production. But still let this happen. Or at least that is my take on. But thanks for the info that's pretty cool to know.