PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Thanks cigrmaster and seanv for the heads up. I've got a couple aromatic only pipes so will sacrifice one of those to the cause.

I will add that I've now tried BBF and am rather enjoying it. Slow burning and malty bread like to me. I ended up rubbing out then drying for over an hour and it was smooth sailing thereafter.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
How mild do you like your English? Skiff is lighter than SL. Personally I prefer Commonwealth Mixture over either of those. It's bursting with Latikia goodness.

Its probably easier to list what I've found I enjoy thus far... SPC PP (& SR), GLP Quiet Nights, Wilke 400, H&H WhiteKnight, and Ashton Artisan's Blend have all been very enjoyable smokes for me. Not an exhaustive list, but those seemed to tickle my fancy the most...

Commonwealth doesn't seem to get the same love as SL & Skiff, but was actually was in stock. Of course I glossed over it having not been as familiar with it.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
1792 is rubbish and don’t like full virginia Flake.
Both a waste of my money and at £15 approx I can’t afford experimenting.
The best is SG Kendal Black or Brown Sliced Twist Aromatic, in bulk.
Smoking some Nightcap OK but won’t buy it again.

SG Kendal Black is rubbish. And I don't like Brown sliced twist.
The best is FVF and 1792.
Smoking some Nightcap, good stuff.
See how easy this is.

Love it! Variety and personal preference is one of the great things about pipe smoking.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Its probably easier to list what I've found I enjoy thus far... SPC PP (& SR), GLP Quiet Nights, Wilke 400, H&H WhiteKnight, and Ashton Artisan's Blend have all been very enjoyable smokes for me. Not an exhaustive list, but those seemed to tickle my fancy the most...

Commonwealth doesn't seem to get the same love as SL & Skiff, but was actually was in stock. Of course I glossed over it having not been as familiar with it.

Try C&D Dreams of Kadath if you get a chance. If you like the above you'll probably like it.

Reactions: aquadoc

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019

Commonwealth is a little different than the other two in that it doesn't have any oriental leaf, just Virginia and latikia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice array of SG blends. They aren't your old dependables, but if you like them and scout around, they are a good find.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
Would it be possible to cut down on all the abbreviations so that some of us can know what you are all talking about?

Reactions: mingc

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Try C&D Dreams of Kadath if you get a chance. If you like the above you'll probably like it.
I've had a couple bowls of this and not sure what to make of it. It seems to have an alcohol topping and/or the katerini is a wicked leaf. For me this is an interesting blend, but I can't help to wonder what some latakia would add.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Commonwealth is a little different than the other two in that it doesn't have any oriental leaf, just Virginia and latikia

I'll have to give this a try, perhaps my next SG haul will focus on the latakia blends. I generally prefer English blends over VA anyway. Thanks for the push, there's something to be said for the power of suggestion.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Would it be possible to cut down on all the abbreviations so that some of us can know what you are all talking about?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016

I generally agree with this sentiment, even though I also generally understand all the abbreviations. I just think that the abbreviations are not necessary, that it takes little effort to type out the name of a blend, and that the abbreviations probably confuse new users or "lurkers" who might not yet be familiar with these abbreviations, though that confusion could be a bug or a feature depending on how you look at it. To avoid repetitions typing, I usually spell out the name of the blend on the first reference in any given post, and then abbreviate thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.