Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the reason most of us on here are into non-aros is to give us stuff to talk about. Sure, we really enjoy tobaccos, but imagine a forum full of aromatic smokers, "my wife really like this one or that one..." "my mom could tell I was smoking, because of the cherry smell on my hands..." Then when aromatic smokers get here to this forum, their like "we are supposed to be able to taste things?!"
Ha ha, Jim's post cracked me up a bit. I started on non-aromatics, and went straight to Virginias and Vapers like a duck to water. But, everyone kept telling me that people really should start with latakia. Virginias are something that only experienced smokers should try. Now, we have the latakia is for the more experienced. I don't think it matters at all. There are guys out there that their first tin was Frog Morton.

Try everything, just keep in mind that what you hate today just might become your absolute favorite later on down the line. Try everything!!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I am not in any way, shape, or form against aromatics. I just would not reccomend them to a beginner because many aromatics blowtorch pretty good when they get steamy, and many beginners don't recognize the warning signs of "tongue bite a-comin'" until it's too late. Frankly, people just don't expect that out of something that smells as mild and friendly as most aros do, and it can be a nasty surprise. I'm just going off of my experience of aromatics being the hardest for me to get an enjoyable smoke out of.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
While some aros if puffed fast can cause tongue bite, so can most anything else. I was giving advice based on what the guy is interested in, not based on my personal taste.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Sure some people take to English blends right away and love it. Some knowledgeable folks have said too many beginners are turned off because they start smoking poor tobaccos and should get something with some taste. But all that aside I think JimInks advise is solid for the typical beginner. From there you can move on and explore the many options.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
My opinion is aromatics such as 1Q, Holiday Spirit, RLP6, BCA, are great "first" tobaccos. Drugstore aromatics like Captain Black, anything Cherry, anything Vanilla, etc. are not good starter tobaccos. OTC blends have different characteristics that enable them to last on a shelf a long time. Because of this they tend to end up as the goopy, tongue burners that we often hear about.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a snob.
I differentiate elitism, which is wanting high quality, from snobbishness, which has a kind of "I'm better than you" social status climbing feel to it. There's nothing wrong with elitism. I dislike aros, but I don't think it makes me a god among men (hubris!) for doing so. The only thing to my mind that raises a person's status is ability combined with moral character, but that's another thread...
Cosmic hit a good point here:
I don't think it matters at all. There are guys out there that their first tin was Frog Morton.

Try everything, just keep in mind that what you hate today just might become your absolute favorite later on down the line. Try everything!!
I started with aromatics, and would have gone more full-on into pipe smoking had I picked up a tin of "Standard Mixture," OJK -- does it come in tins? I buy it by the pound -- or these killer Savinelli "doblones." Aros lacked something I needed. This is why I suggest giving new pipers a range of tobacco so they do not see their options as limited, and are not held back by a lack of knowledge (and for most, time to acquire it).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Aros get a bad rap. I rarely smoke them, but every once and a while I enjoy a mild vanilla topped blend. I don't care to smoke the heavily topped tutti fruity blends. But one thing that I'm not seeing in the responses is that some of the risk of tongue bite and goopiness is reduced by letting the tobacco dry out for a while before packing. Many of the aros are overly moist. Put out a bowl's worth on a plate, spread it out, and let it dry out for 45 minutes before packing.
As for what to smoke? Try a variety of blend types and see what you like.

pastordaniel

Lurker
Sep 20, 2015
My 2 cents:
I started in August 2015, so I am a newbie like you with no tobacco past. I was concerned about cash outlay, so this is what I did:
1. I started with this - http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/77048/corn-in-the-usa-ii-gift-set/#p-140355 but I would also add a 1.5 oz. pouch of Carter Hall - http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72859/carter-hall. Corn cob pipes are, IMHO, a requirement for new pipe smokers before briars. Learn how to clean them (the cobs) too.
2. Focus on mastering one method of packing your pipe (lots of options via YouTube) and slow smoking. Relights are fine. Everything will taste like an ashtray at first, especially in a new cob. Think of it as a sort of hazing ritual - very few haven't gone through it. Get to know the tobaccos you own - and it's okay to not like some.
3. Eventually after a few weeks, start branching out with some other sampler packs. Do your research before buying (http://www.tobaccoreviews.com). Buy small amounts so you can sample more.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Bald Headed Teacher from 4Noggins is my perfect pick for starting someone in pipe smoking. It has an amazing room note that I know many people associate with the "old fashioned/traditional" smell of a pipe: vanilla and burley combo. It has a lot of flavor without being goopy or hot.

Mar 1, 2014
I started this hobby about a year and a half ago, with just next to zero prior experience with any form of tobacco.
I took to Latakia like a duck to water. It was beautiful from the first puff. In my opinion it is one of the easiest flavors to taste.

That said, you must ask yourself, do you like campfires and smoked meat?

If not then it's probably safe to avoid Latakia at the start, but if you like both of those things then I highly recommend that you jump in with both feet.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/CaptainEarles/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=71487

This is one of my favorite Latakia blends.
It's true that at first it will be hard to taste anything. The analogy I use is it's like eating spicy food, the other flavors don't come through until you've been eating it for a few days.

That said, at the start it's probably a good idea to give your mouth a few days rest between bowls... Actually I still don't smoke more than twice a week. Do drink something while you're smoking the pipe, it helps keep the irritation down.

nachocreech

Lurker
Oct 14, 2015
Wow, first and foremost thank you all for the feedback, I was not expecting to find so many suggestions/tips/recommendations.

It shows what kind of community pipe smoking enthusiasts are.
To those who have suggested going to a nearby pipe store, unfortunately I`m currently not in an area that's possible, so most if not all of my purchases will be through online.
After reading through all of the comments I have made some changes to my initial shopping cart.
I replaced the sampler for the below. It seems that after doing a bit of research it seems corn cobs are the suggested way for starters.

1. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/77048/corn-in-the-usa-ii-gift-set/#p-140355
This Lane1Q seemed to pop a lot throughout the forums in the newbie sections.

2. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/39894/lane-1-q/
Pipe cleaners, because...well Im pretty sure Ill need one.

3. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-cleaners/76936/big-ben-cleaners/#p-135367
Here is another question I would like to throw into the community. While browsing for pipe cleaners, I saw that there were many different type of cleaners. Since they are mostly the same price ($1 to 2 range) is this something I should carefully pick? Is there one type thats better for corn cobes?
Again, thank you for the feedback

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
If you are really set on aromatics, like me, then I would advise buying 2 corn cobs,a tin of berry nice by hearth and home and a pipe tool ( don't forget cleaners). I'm very new to pipe smoking, and this is one of the few aromatics that tastes how it smells. If you want to spend less, then go for a sample of lane 1q and try a sample an English blend. If you want to mix everyone's advice, just buy a tin of frog mortons cellar. It's an English that many refer to as an aromatic English, if you like your liquor taste this one is perfect.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Frog Morton Cellar is an awesome introduction to latakia. Not a ton in it but enough to get a taste.
Pipe smoking is like an adventure. You never know what blends you will like but keep trying them.
I personally would also recommend in addition to what's been mentioned some kind of blend with oriental leaves in them. I'm very fond of Yednije Highlander from McClelland. A touch of latakia and just an awesome light blend.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
And any pipe cleaners will do. Tapered, straight, 6 inch 12 inch, I get 12 inch as you can always cut them in half. Just don't buy anything from an arts and crafts section of a store. Also, I started with corn in the usa 2. I strongly advise you to not even bother smoking the 3 tobaccos they give you. It will taste as if you just licked an ashtray(there's a post from me on here saying how they all taste like cheap cigarettes). If I were you, buy 2 cheap cobs (Washington and legend) and a 1oz sample of lane 1q with a pipe tool and cleaners.

Status
Not open for further replies.