PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
In my experience it's not the same if you smoke a non filtered pipe or a filtered one without a filter. The difference is in a smoother, better draw.
I like a tight draw and without a filter it's just too loose. Adapters do the trick but they are a pain to clean.

I can get the logic to treat filtered pipes as non filtered and use filters optionally. You can also pretend you have a reverse calabash since there's a 6 or 9mm little room.

I'm using filters in 90% of my smokes because they help me to absorb the moisture, mainly from the exhale and some from the tobacco. With non filtered pipes I have to use a lot of pipe cleaners while a filter traps all kinds of dirty stuff which would otherwise end in my oral cavity.

Which tactic works for you? I guess you will have to find out yourself. ;)

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
In my experience it's not the same if you smoke a non filtered pipe or a filtered one without a filter. The difference is in a smoother, better draw.
I like a tight draw and without a filter it's just too loose. Adapters do the trick but they are a pain to clean.

I can get the logic to treat filtered pipes as non filtered and use filters optionally. You can also pretend you have a reverse calabash since there's a 6 or 9mm little room.

I'm using filters in 90% of my smokes because they help me to absorb the moisture, mainly from the exhale and some from the tobacco. With non filtered pipes I have to use a lot of pipe cleaners while a filter traps all kinds of dirty stuff which would otherwise end in my oral cavity.

Couldn't have said it better. Thanks.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I'm pretty sure my next briar will be a Rossi Piccolo. Along the same lines, but a little plainer and with vulcanite stems. About $50. Not a stepping-stone to anything else, I'm just a base-model kind of guy. 👍
I’ve considered one of those myself. I really want one of the 626 vittorias as I love the 626 Tre rusticated I have but would like the same pipe with a vulcanite stem. Huge fan of the 626 shape for some reason.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon

This is precisely what I was saying.. especially in the latter half of the bowl it can be hard to get the draw right when smoking a filtered pipe without the filter. The tobacco in there is just crammed in so tight. Not saying it can’t be done of course I just prefer to avoid if I can personally.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I’ll throw my two cents in the pot. If I want a non filtered pipe why would I buy a filtered pipe? I’m not being a smart ass, I think this is a valid question.

There’s two options if you smoke a filtered pipe without a filter:
Option 1- Use the adapter. Well, it gets dirty and you have to remove it and clean it. Not a big deal but unnecessary. Why faff about.

Option 2- Remove adapter and smoke away. Well, in my limited experience the mortise gets dirtier than it should. It’s also harder to clean due to the way the mortise is shaped to accommodate an adapter.

A non filtered pipe is simpler and easier to clean to me.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I’ll throw my two cents in the pot. If I want a non filtered pipe why would I buy a filtered pipe? I’m not being a smart ass, I think this is a valid question.

Option 1- Use the adapter. Well, it gets dirty and you have to remove it and clean it. Not a big deal but unnecessary. Why faff about.

Option 2- Remove adapter and smoke away. Well, in my limited experience the mortise gets dirtier than it should. It’s also harder to clean due to the way the mortise is shaped to accommodate an adapter.

I was just about to say the same thing. I don't use filters, and I have two pipes made for filters (one for 9mm and one for 6mm). It's not just the mortise though, the tenon also gets stupid dirty and you have to pull it apart after every smoke to wipe out all the juice that won't evaporate worth a damn. Can let it sit a week and still there will be juice in there (if you smoke wetter).

It's not hard to take a cotton swab or bit of paper towel to that void, but it's an extra step that's not necessary with filter-less pipes.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023

See now there's a concern that I haven't had the experience to yet consider. That's why I ask these seemingly basic questions. And points for damned fine usage of "faff."

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Let me see if I have this correct? 🤔

——————————
Suggestions for a first unfiltered pipe. I'm starting to think about it too. The host suggested either a Savinelli or a Peterson Donegal Rocky.
——————————

There’s no such thing as a suggestion or advice to be made for buying a pipe that is either filtered or unfiltered, considering the mass amount of pipes made around the world for either style.

In the end, you look, read, possibly see what others are talking about, and then buy what you like.

There is no right or wrong here, it’s simply buying a pipe that catches your eye, and whatever you can afford.

You can’t go wrong with any of the big names, factory or small artisan carvers.

Mentioning only two names, Savinelli or a Peterson, is just being biased is all. ;)

Also, besides only mentioning Briar pipes, you have Corn Cob, Meerschaum and Clay. If you are looking for more of a pure tobacco taste, sometimes Briar can impart flavors into the tobacco.

Corncobs, Meerschaum and Clay are neutral tasting. Some have talked about tastes in new Corncobs, but after being smoked awhile, they tend to go neutral.

I’ve smoked Briar, Corncobs, Meerschaum and Clay, and I found all the latter 3 to always be more neutral over Briar.

If you get nice briar, it can be neutral too...
Cobs have the strongest taste IMO. Sure, after you get a good cake it is muted. Meers and clay are neutral.

Reactions: obc83
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Any factory pipe, Savinelli and Peterson included, offer a good basic smoke for a reasonable price. I would suggest looking at Tsuge for this price. The Japanese are meticulous about quality, and IMO you get a great smoking pipe for the price.

Reactions: obc83

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Cobs have the strongest taste IMO. Sure, after you get a good cake it is muted. Meers and clay are neutral.

I’ve not had any tastes in the cobs I’ve smoked, unless you smoke way to the bottom of an MM, then you can get a wood taste from the spoon.

I know others have talked of tastes in cobs, I’ve just smoked some that were more neutral.

MM seem to suffer quality control issues at times, so maybe some cobs just smoke better than others, and I’ve noticed this a little at times.

And then, I wonder, maybe the higher priced ones, might be the better smokers. The Danger Poker I had in the past was extremely clean smoking.

My main cobs now have Forever Stems on them, maybe they help too...

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I recently started on the pipe again and just happened to grab some 9mm filters. While it may change the taste a little I enjoy the cool and dry smoke. Most of the pipes I have bought recently take 9mm filters.