PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
jpmcwjr, upon measuring it is just shy of 1.5" in truth. Closer to 1.4". I think SPC listed it as 1.45". Still, it's the largest capacity of my four pipes.
workman, despite the weirdness with the stem bend, I'm quite liking my Irish Army 160. I haven't heard of this defect before now, so I have to assume that it was just a bit of poor luck. I too find many of the smaller Peterson shapes to be *ahem* a-pete-alling. Dunno if that really worked, but had to give it a shot!

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
My first real brand pipe was a Peterson XL02 System pipe. I gave in to the gimmick that other pipe makers did not have yet at that time.I still have it and smoke it. A good beginner pipe for sure. Hopefully you will have it for years of smoking enjoyment!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I didn't want to rain on your parade and mention the quality issues with Petersons (holes poorly drilled, bad tasting pipes due to stain, &c.), seeing how excited you were with your new purchase. Some guys love Petes, some won't touch them, and both camps have valid reasons. I've held off on Peterson due to those issues. It's too bad that you got one of those duds, but I'm glad you were able to fix the problem.
There's hope that with Peterson being acquired by Laudisi last year, these quality problems will go away. There is still quite a bit of pre-Laudisi stock around, however, so it's still gonna take some time.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’ve been eyeing the army mount 160 myself, I like the classic simplicity and small size. Hope it turns out to be a good smoker for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.