PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
This is actually a first and second impression.
My love of all things Gawith grows. My understanding of Navy Flake was founded on PS LNF. I thought that VA, Perique and rum were the requisite components. As my studies continue, I see Navy Flakes of all configurations. The commonalities seem to be Virginias, any of a variety of condiment leaves and the (almost universal) rum treatment.
In the army, we doused any issued food with Tabasco to make it palatable. In the days of the Old World navies, a similar process was practiced with tobacco. Take whatever (likely shitty) leaf you could get, roll it tight for preservation and convenience and store it in rum barrels for preservation and flavor.
I popped open the 250g box and found a zip-lock bag of roughly 6.5" dark brown flakes with tan-yellow streaks and spots throughout. They are about 1/16" thick and damp. Not as damp as the GHCo Dark Flake.
Jarring the Gawith line of flakes has fallen into an easy and convenient routine. I use the pint size wide mouth Ball jars. I cut about a third off the end of the flakes. The 2/3 portion stack easily into the jar vertically and the 1/3 portions fill a square tin nicely for more immediate consumption.
jarred-flake-600x337.jpg

Last night, I removed one flake and cut it in half. Some of the reviews I read indicated that excessive drying would cause the loss of some flavor subtleties. I'm not one prone to over drying, but, since I couldn't sleep, I decided on an experiment. I gave the first half about 40 minutes of dry time and let the other half dry overnight. It's humid here right now, so the morning half was far from crispy.
Last night's flake was folded and stuffed into the Savinelli 606KS, a bent billiard and one of my two latakia burners.
navy-flake-337x600.jpg

One could suffer a repetitive stress injury trying to light a moist Gawith flake. I hope you blokes appreciate the sacrifices made in the name of science. :mrgreen:
Finally, two flints later, a decent ember. Spiced sweet cream came to mind as the overall taste experience. Occasionally, it morphed towards more of a chai flavor. As promised, the latakia was a light supporting player. The rum very subtle. In fact, had I been given this in an unmarked package, I'd maybe not specifically identify it as rum, but as an unidentified (pleasant) influence.
Towards the bottom, the flavor balanced harmoniously, but demanded another flint be sacrificed to the dottle gods. Of course, there was moisture. A small price to pay for the wonderful flavor experience.
Today, I slept late. So late, in fact, the cats began attacking me in protest of the empty breakfast dishes. Since they outnumber me and possess numerous ways of rending my flesh, I got to it.
Finally, beyond threat and coffee in hand, I made it back to the room of smoking. The flake was still pliant (again, high humidity) and I changed course. Since I was now low on flints, I decided to rub out the flake. Still considering the reviews I read noting flavor reduction with dry time, I also changed over to my other latakia pipe, a Savinelli 111KS straight billiard. My experience is that the 111 gives more oompf to the lat and the 606 slightly mutes it.
It still took a few minutes of flaming to get going, but not nearly as bad and it smoothed out much more quickly. and DRY! I'd term last night's smoke a technical exercise, like visiting your neighbor by driving a manual transmission truck across the rough field to his house. Today's trip, more like driving the automatic on the smooth roads around the field. Both paths get you there. You need only choose which adventure you seek.
Flavor was quite similar, although the dryness of the rubbed out flake allowed me to focus on a more continuous enjoyment. MAYBE it was muted a bit in spice by the dry time, or maybe I was expecting such from what I read. If so, not a great difference. This is definitely one of those tobaccos where some experimentation will pay off in finding your preferred experience.
I was sad to see the bottom of the chamber. Not a powerhouse of flavors, but a well thought melange of subtleties in today's world of "in your face" excesses.
Verdict: Get Some!
jay-roger.jpg

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Yeah, one of the underrated SG blends imo.
I find this flake definitely benefits from a good bit of drying. To my palate, drying actually makes the flavours much more enjoyable, despite what I've read about over drying. YMMV.
On a side note, SG Commonwealth Mixture is another that rarely gets mentioned. Even at 50% Latakia, the Virginias represent themselves very well. A lot like Navy Flake, sans the rum.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jay, I have found that cube cutting my Sg flakes works very well for me. I cut them into very small cubes(1/8-1/4") and then let it dry 1-2 hours. I load the pipe like I always do checking the draw before lighting looking for just a little resistance with this flake. I have found I get a better smoking experience as the tobacco still smokes nice and cool, I get the flavors of a fold and stuff, but with a more consistent burn. Give it a shot and see how you like it.
Glad you enjoyed your Navy Flake. I cellar the following SG Flakes and Plug. Best Brown, Full Virginia, St James, Cabbies Mixture and Kendal Plug. The Kendal Plug is basically Best Brown in plug form and is fun to play with.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I enjoy reading your tobacco explorative posts. You bring me into your pipe experience with enthusiastic words and pictures. I may have smoked Navy Flake long ago, but your post makes me want to buy some. Now those Commie bastard FDAs are coming for nicotine! What better time to take these last few years before 2021 to cellar.
I like that you read TR well enough to note the moisture level that's best for this tobacco. Given that ego's job is to manage the environment, we have a decided predilection to view new experience from old, and thus I'm always interested to know to what extent what we think we perceive is in fact objective truth, or in this case what moisture level is actually best separated from what our past experience found to be best, as represented by the current gestalt of the mind.
I bought a tin of Plum Pudding a few years ago whose contents was very dry. In discussing this with a member of SPC my position was that the tobacco had been harmed while he said that the jury was still out about the extent to which volatile essences of taste are lost. I agree, and in any case my palate wouldn't know the difference. I'm reminded of that discussion when I hear someone defend a position about moisture.
My position is I don't know.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
This one just got a place on my must try list. I always enjoy reading your first impressions. I think they are just as useful as the actual reviews on TR.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Thanks for the review, though this blend just went down a couple of notches on my to-try list. I was hoping for more rum!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Top notch write-up! I too just recently tried this after eyeing it for four years. I got flashes of really good flavor, but they were infrequent and I couldn't figure out what it was I did that pulled the flavor from it. I enjoy it, but I don't know if I'll get more.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Harris, cube cutting this is The Shiznit! Thanks!
Lazar, in the cube cut, I AM getting a more significant rum flavor from about 15 minutes in almost to the bottom (not done yet).
I cubed about 2 of the shorter pieces and gave it an hour of dry time. Humidity today is half of what it was last time.
jay-roger.jpg

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Nice impression on a great tobacco. I love Samuel Gawith blends and Navy Flake is near the top for me. I do keep forgetting about trying the cube cut method. I am out of Navy Flake but I am puffing on some aged Chocolate Flake and I think I will try the cube cut with it. Cabbies Mixture is excellant...just finished up a tin today. I will be purchasing some bulk of ST blends soon.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Love me a good Navy Flake. I havnt tried this one yet but after reading your impressions of it Im inclined to grab a couple tins.

Cube cutting is the Shiznit! I tend to cube up any flake that leans toward the moist side, and have had great results.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
It's pretty good ... but for some reason I like Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls better.

piperay70

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
Samuel Gawith has many gems not just Commonwealth(one of the old time favorites), Navy Flake or Squadron Leader. Skiff Mixture is a ribbon cut with more oriental leaf so it's not smoky comparing Commonwealth, then there's flakes like Sam's Flake and Bothy Flake both first-class stuff. Smoking both with great pleasure. 1792, Black XX and Lakeland Dark are the power houses in strength, lot's of Nicotine and flavor and very tasty. Gawith is a great blender and I've been enjoying their blends for many years. Usually I have several of their tins in my "vaults". Perfection,Westmoreland Mixture and let's say Golden Glow are good but not great. Smoking FVF by Gawith as morning smoke. Great stuff. Aromatics from wizards of Kendall I haven't tried for this this simply reason , I don't like aromatics. I think Samuel Gawith offerings are solid good tobacco products, straight from this little factory with no air conditioning and same tools of the trade as it was late 1700 when a fella from Scotland moved his business to Cumbria. These is just my humble insight on Gawith. If you want to ask more please don't hesitate.

-Ernie

tnfan

Lifer
Jan 9, 2012
Franklin, Tennessee
A little late posting to this thread. I haven’t smoked this blend in several years. I have some jarred from a tin I purchased in 2012. This was jarred in 2014. The flakes are still moist but not as moist as from original tin. Took a larger single flake, folded, and stuffed into a 1968 Dunhill Tanshell LB. It took a couple of attempts to get the initial char. The actual light took immediately and required only a couple of relights. Initial sweet flavor and spice from the first portion. Spiceness disappeared around half bowl and sweetness was in the background. I’m not good at defining flavors but there was a very pleasant flavor profile. Strength for me was mild. This is one blend I could smoke on a daily basis. A very pleasant experience.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thanks to one of those aged tins gifted to me by tnfan, I was able to smoke this tobacco a couple of days ago. Despite having 5 years of age, I dried the tobacco for approximately 90 minutes. In retrospect, should have been more. Vent it in half and jammed it into the bowl.
I found this tobacco started out a bit "in your face". Strong, spicy flavors. About a third to half way through the bowl, it settled down into a smooth, pleasant sweet flavor and remained there to the bottom of the bowl. It did require a fair number of relight. This is a high quality tobacco that is will worth having in your cellar if you like Virginia or VaPer blends.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Always open to learning a thing or two Ken. To be fair, I was driving back from Raleigh while smoking it so I wasn't able to give the packing and tamping my full attention. Regardless, it's another nice blend from SG I'll smoke more of. Thanks for the tin.

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
Enjoyed the review, when it FINALLY comes back into stock I will surely be purchasing a tin or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.