PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
So... been smoking a corn cob for a short while now (under a month) and been looking online for an upgrade.
Sadly, as seen in another post of mine, I found a beautiful ROPP but didn't get it on eBay. Sigh.
Scrolling through sites like eBay, I see pipes range from $10-$150 and higher. No way I'll be buying a pipe for $500, but same time, how cheap is 'too cheap' for a pipe? Like, what should I look for? What is the difference between a cheap pipe and a good inexpensive pipe?
Should I stick with brand names only? or are there certain materials I should avoid?
Just kinda curious to know how people shop for pipes on here... if it's based on looks only or other factors. Right now I'm eyeing up a Gasparini (new) that's just under $50, but trying to get some shipping costs from the seller since the never listed any. Is that a decent brand for a new guy?

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I'm with flintlockjohn. The entry-level lines of Savinelli, Stanwell, and Peterson are the quality benchmarks for me. All three have reliably excellent engineering and smoke as well as much more expensive pipes I own. Each of the three makes has its own aesthetic, so pick whichever one floats your boat. New pipes from those lines run $80-$100. If that's too pricey, look around for an estate from those makes.
There are certainly cheaper pipes out there from other makes that also smoke quite well, but it's more of a crapshoot and you have to know a little better what you're looking for. Savinelli, Stanwell, and Peterson are reliable choices.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
You might look into Roma pipes. I think they are a Savinelli owned brand. Pipes and Cigars has a large selection and some are $50.00 or so. Milan Tobacconists has some handsome Roma's for under $90.00. Both vendors are site sponsors. I recently was looking at some Roma's at a B & M and was pleasantly surprised at how handsome they were.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I'm a big fan of Peterson pipes, been smoking them for many years. Iwan Ries has Peterson 2013 Christmas pipes on sale for half price right now. I just received two today and they were $56 each after the discount, I threw in a couple tins of tobacco to get to $125 and got the free shipping. Both have beautiful grain and the two I received have no fills or flaws, are drilled straight, etc. The bowls are a little smaller than what I normally like but for the price you can't go wrong. I've never had a Peterson that wasn't a good smoker and the ones I've owned smoke just as well or better in some cases than customs I've owned costing much more. Also you mentioned Ropps, they have some on sale for $37 to $45, you'll see them when you click on the link, they're on the same page as the Petersons.
http://www.iwanries.com/half-price-pipes-C2163.cfm

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I just received two today and they were $56 each after the discount, I threw in a couple tins of tobacco to get to $125 and got the free shipping.
@throbinson
I'd follow boilermakerandy's example and pick up a couple of good pipes and some interesting tobacco for $125 from Iwan Ries in Chicago.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I'm seeing a lot of push towards a name brand... though no idea still why?
What I mean is, as mentioned in one post 'have reliably excellent engineering' though from my understanding it's a bowl with a hole and a stem attached, not quite the same level of engineering as say a watch. I can understand some woods cost more than others, but, even that page of half price pipes a few are $500+ but don't look any better than the $60 ones.
I'm thinking the $20 eBay brands are maybe veneers? but I'm thinking anything $60 and up probably smokes as well as a $500 pipe no?
My other issue is trying to find a pipe I like the looks of... which is why I didn't jump right into specific brands. For some reason it's hard to find a really nice wood grain on a pipe with a stain light enough you can see it. Almost always a dark cherry or walnut stain. I like a clean look with a nice grain to it, which the bigger named companies don't seem to do often. :?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ewa pipes can be had for under $40 at Iwan Ries. No real push to brand names, just suggestions of what we have experience with, and they just happen to be name brands. Myself, I find just as much joy from one of my $500+ Bruce Weavers as I do $3 corncobs just depends on my mood. Quality of the briar, stem material and grain and proprietary finishes can also greatly influence the price as well. Pipesmoking is about the enjoyment of the individual. I know a guy that makes his own corncobs, and that is all he smokes. I like unusual shapes and sandblasts, so my pipes cost a little more, but the less expensive ones smoke just as well.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I bought a bunch of estates but, still need to buy polish, buffer pads, wax, reamers, etc... and being Xmas time I'll likely wait until after the holidays to order that stuff. Otherwise, I have a few brand names in the pile... but, kinda the 'generic' looking pipes. Still a few may be keepers... couple are Brighams. Did a quick Google on some of the names, that I could find. Few had Dr. in the name, which I thought was funny, and I think one Savinelli.
Though, despite asking plainly 'are they damaged/cracked' he replied saying all in good shape, no damage... but a few are junk. Definitely misleading with the ad, but $50 for 18 pipes, a stand and an antique reamer, worked out to $2.50 a piece so, will use the 2-3 junkers as practice.
This was the pic from the ad... I plan to upload really good pics to my photobucket so I can have some before/after shots. The 2 meerschaum and 2 large ornate ones in the back I'm selling... no idea how to clean those, don't want to mess up trying. :D
SmokingPipes-LotNov2014_zps709a0878.jpg

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Oh those pipes were a local purchase off Craig's List type deal... but, when meeting outside a coffee shop in the snow, it's hard to go through all the pipes, especially when all in a box. I trust people to be honest but, occasionally get burned a bit.
Still... I'm one of those people that constantly take up new hobbies because I'm (what I like to call) perpetually bored.
The buffers/polish I've been looking to get anyway for polishing aluminum on a motorbike I bought this summer (another new hobby) so that stuff will get a double use. Really the only 'pipe specific' purchase will be a $25 set of the Castleford reamers... look pretty good, can use on old and new pipes to keep them clean, etc. Will probably buy it next time I order a few 1oz samples for 4Noggins.
That all being said... I do want to buy a new, never used before pipe, as my daily user since no idea when I'll start cleaning up the estates, or if they're going to turn out well.
Though I did see a really nice (estate) GDB on eBay.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Check this out. Might have to pick up a Gasparina myself.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Gasparini

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think newbie (above) has a good take on the situation. I don't know where you are in your exploration of pipe tobacco smoking,

but you risk "nickel-and-diming" yourself into eventual disappointment and disaffection with the whole hobby.
IMO, you will achieve the most satisfaction by purchasing the best pipe and the best tobacco money can buy.

A $300 pipe is better than five $60 pipes. Stick with high end brand names. They are pricey for a reason.
If you're forced to enter the hobby at a lower price point, check out Briar Blues, and ask Mike Glukler for some guidance. (pm briarblues)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Slow down! Grab a smoker, fill and light up. Now sit back and develop a plan. Or, at least a goal of some sort. I would think this "shotgun" approach would get confusing without a bit of experience smoking different pipes and learning to identify a "good" experience from a an "average" or even "poor" experience.
Oh! And by the way, going from a cob to a briar should not be seen as an "up grade." Briar is a different smoking experience, as is meerschaum. Neither is better or worse, just different and a matter of preference.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
You don't want a hand buffer for a motorcycle either since some of those aluminum parts are small and need two hands as well. We have an old table top that's in the workshop and unused a long time, I plan to take the grinding wheels off that and switch to buff pads. Just hoping fast enough.
... Scooter? If you've seen me, you'd know why that's funny. I'd crush a scooter. :D
Reamer wise, seen a lot of good reviews on the Castleford ones. May not be as good as the Pipnet but probably works just fine for a non-professional. I don't plan on reaming 20 pipes a day. $20.
http://www.4noggins.com/castleford-t-handle-pipe-reamer-set.aspx
As for the 'you get what you paid for' I'm still not seeing "how" a $300 pipe is better than a $60 pipe. Again, I can understand different woods/style affecting the price, but... basic standard pipe... what makes a $300 pipe better than a $60 pipe?
Are we talking, a $300 pipe will last 50yrs and a $60 pipe will only last 20yrs? Because I'm willing to save $240 and learn that lesson the hard way. :D But seriously, the bowls are all about the same, otherwise reamers wouldn't have a standard shape. From the bowl to the mouth it's a stem with a hole inside... some bowls and holes are bigger/smaller... but apart from that, I'm not seeing much about 'why' that $300 pipe is better than $60. Do cheap ones fall apart? crack? fake finishes? How is a meerschaum different from a briar? Easier to draw? Taste difference? 'How' does each change the experience?
I see a lot of this is good/bad/different but no details. :?
... I will add at this time that I've been smoking a pipe for a month (use to smoke cigars on occasion) so not to where I'm committing $300 towards buying a pipe at this point. Still trying to find 'The Tobacco' that I enjoy. That being said, the $8 corncob works, but, metal ring fell off already and the stem sticks inside the bowl making it harder to clean. :(

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy breaking for a "fine pipe" now and then, but many good smokers are available either at discount

or at a medium or lower price level. My Petersons, at various price levels, have worked out well. I know

the complaints on quality, which are disheartening, but I have been lucky and had no problems with

my five or six Peterson bought over a number of years, at lower prices than most of today's. SP had quite

a few Ropps for $60 last time I looked. There is an unstamped selection of three BC pipes at Cup O Joes

for $44, briar walnut stained, that are likely quality pipes too. Lots of bargains out there, for those who

are not shopping higher end.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I have Grabow's that I bought 20 years ago that still look and smoke as well as they did when I bought them. As far as reamers go, the one you are looking at is fine. Senior reamers can be had for around $30 or a lumiere which is a Senior clone can be had for $20. Both are very good. I use the lumiere myself.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@mso489 I'm with you. Once a year, I hit up Bruce Weaver for a custom, but for the most part, I'm all about Savinelli, Johs, Neerup, even a couple of little Tsuge's. You don't have to buy a Dunhill to have a great pipe.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
All the above advise is great! I noticed you liked Ropps. Why not get a Ropp? They are all on sale at SmokingPipes.com and right now, Today only! They have free shipping for any order more than $50!
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Ropp/index.cfm

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I like "a" ROPP, that's the issue... it was sold on eBay. It was reposted a few times, then before I had the chance, it was sold. Thing is, I don't like how most pipes look. Not a fan of dark walnut stain or cherry, which seems to be 90% of what's out there.
The ROPP I wanted was this one... which I have not been able to find anywhere at all. It sold for under $60 I think too, which really was annoying. :D
I want a good pipe... but I want one I like the looks of as well. That's my dilemma. Rare time I see a pipe I really like, it's not a well known name brand.
Nice Stanwell Night & Day 13 I saw online, but $100 so $40 out of my budget/range. Plus shipping. In both cases for the ROPP

and the Stanwell, I think I'd rather a bent stem instead of straight. The ROPP though, I'd have lived with because looked nice.
Ropp01_zps4e3bda62.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.