PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
This isn't so much a review as much as it is perhaps a learning experience in my pipe smoking life. :lol:
I recently purchased a couple tins of CA from 4noggins, along with a wind cap, and some softy bits for a couple pipes that just don't feel comfy when I clench. As soon as my shipment came in I had to try out the CA. I had read some reviews stating that it was quite dry in the tin. It certainly is quite dry. But I was sure it would still be a pleasant smoke. So wanting to try out the new wind cap along with Crown Achievement, I loaded up a MM Cob popped on the wind cap and thought I'd go for a walk. There are some horses just up the road and it's always nice to walk on by and say hi to them while having a pipe. It was a bit windy, though not too terribly so, so I thought it would be the perfect time to try out the wind cap. Well... I kid you not that wind somehow went straight through the wind cap and into that dry tobacco! That pipe started smoking like a freight train and kept blocking the wind from my pipe with my hand to slow down the burn... and I'm trying to get a puff in here and there... and boy was it burning warm. Finally the pipe stopped smoking and I removed the wind cap for a relight only to find that my tobacco had all burned down to ash. And all this happened in a matter of just a few minutes. I didn't even reach the horses. I turned around, a little disappointed in my lunting attempt, and went back home where I dumped the ashes from my cob. And I kid you not, there was nothing but ash. Not a single tiny bit of tobacco left to speak of! That cursed wind had stolen my smoke! I didn't enjoy a single moment of it!
But I didn't fault the Crown Achievement entirely. How could I? I assume the wind, the pipe chosen, and the dry tobacco regardless of the wind cap all were a factor in the "Fastest Tobacco Burn In A Cob With A Wind Cap In The History Of Pipes." I've since had a couple more bowls of Crown Achievement in a couple different pipes. And truly it is a nice blend and quite enjoyable. Perhaps a tad heavy on the latakia, but I'm sure with a little more age it will mellow a bit. I may try the wind cap along with Crown Achievement again, but in a different pipe. Perhaps my trusty St. Patty's Day 2013 pipe, which I kid you not is the finest smoking pipe I own. An XL90, it has a thick substantial bowl and I'm willing to bet it will serve to keep my tobacco from literally going up in smoke again.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
I've had a few of those pipe smoking experiences while lunting, and let me tell you what, those were frustrating times. But those perfect smokes where all the stars seem to align more than make up for it :puffy:
I've yet to try CA, but I've heard mixed things. It will definitely be one to try in the future.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
anthony, you may want to use lesser pipes for lunting on windy days. You don't want to get anything

started inside of the bowl of your favorite. I'm not big on wind caps, but maybe you could experiment

with those, on lesser pipes. Keep your favorite pipes for indoors and calm days, I'd say.

Jan 8, 2013
Very true, mso. If I thought a pipe was in any danger I would immediately stop smoking it. I cherish even my lowest dollar pipes to be honest. In this case, it was a cob though, and would have been easily replaced. However, I agree, there are a few I could not live with losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.