PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
It does have the stinger still even with the stamp "Drinkless" but I couldn't get a good pic of the stamp so I gave up,also it has the 4 holes in the ball instead of 3 like the later models.

@photoman..I used "Mahogany" Fiebing's leather stain from Pipemakers Emporium.

crispy

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
Those are very impressive! The grain you found under all that age is amazing, I'd love to learn to do this. Could save a few bucks restoring nice older pipes rather than buying new.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I'm a Painter by trade, but my specialty is in Finishing woodwork so i totally appreciate your work. I would ask the process, but I'll just research it myself. Bravo man. Good pix and great work!!!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Very impressive, beautiful pipe - congrats on a fine job. May I ask what you used on the stem to restore it?

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Man every time I get on here there are more words of praise, you guys need to stop I'm starting to feel like a rockstar...lol...Seriously I do appreciate the kind words.
@ numbersix..I did an oxi-clean bath,used 240 grit sandpaper with the dremel, then finished up with micro-mesh.
@gnatjulio & shaw622..I sanded the bowl with the dremel using the 240 grit to remove the finish,re-stained,sanded again using 1,800 grit by hand to get the desired tone and grain then continued with the micro-mesh and finished off with a coat of carnuba wax using the dremel.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for the feedback - very interesting! OxiClean and sandpaper - never would have risked sand paper on a stem like that - good to know!

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
After you let it soak in the oxi-clean you'll see why sandpaper looks like a good idea..lol..But if you use a dremel "BE CAREFUL" is an understatement.I have personally found using a wide polishing pad with the sandpaper cut out and screwed on top helps with pressure distribution, so you don't take off too much at a time.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice job restoring the rim and bowl of that Drinkless! Both look like great pipes.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I just smoked my first bowl out of the Riviera.It was a local B&M blend,a golden cavendish and chocolate.It smoked cool and flavorful.One thing was interesting though, the draw was very open as if I packed it waayy too loose even after I tamped the hell out of it,but it didn't affect the amount of smoke or make me have to light it more than twice (which is normal for me).So overall it was a great smoke and my now favorite pipe.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I just smoked my first bowl out of the Riviera.It was a local B&M blend,a golden cavendish and chocolate.It smoked cool and flavorful.One thing was interesting though, the draw was very open as if I packed it waayy too loose even after I tamped the hell out of it,but it didn't affect the amount of smoke or make me have to light it more than twice (which is normal for me).So overall it was a great smoke and my now favorite pipe.
Nice to hear - congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.