Finding Your "Perfect Pipe" - Have You? Are You Looking For it?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have not found the "perfect pipe" per say, but I have found a shape that works for me. I really enjoy a prince or apple shape. A wider bowl for my english and oriental blends, and the narrow bowl for VA's and VA/PER's. And, with the generally shallow bowl, usually 1" + or -, I find I can actually finish it in one sitting :puffy:

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
I have only found one pipe that absolutely calls to me. the nording hunter '07 elk. but I'm so broke I can't even pay attention. not to mention they just dropped orders on me out if the blue and since they are just pca orders (even though the distance is over 50 miles) the landlord won't let me break my lease. green weenie (you probably won't get any of that unless ur a military type)

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
@metalmilitia I did nine bases in six years and three deployments in that time so I totally hear you. Army life is not ideal for laying down roots anywhere. Regardless, thank you for your service!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Chubby Rhodesian is my favorite shape, hands down. Earlier this year, I acquired one of my top five "Holy Grail" pipes, a 1930's Comoys 499 Extraordinaire. The GBD 9242 is still on my Grail list, as are a Sasieni Ashford and a Comoys 236(just missed one on Sunday...) Since then, I've restored a Comoys 498 and acquired a Jack Howell Comoys Shape 284 rendition.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
The perfect pipe is one that smokes consistently awesome, cool, good draw, and without moisture. MM Ozark Hardwood. I own many. And want many more. It is, the perfect pipe. And at $5 a pop I cant complain.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I would second the notion that MM makes te perfect pipe, however, I think amiller and I would disagree on which pipe it is. Him preferring the ozark and me preferring the Great Dane. I'll admit the spool is a little goofy, but I don't think there is a better pipe in this world than the Egg Shaped Great Dane. Feels great in the hand, it's a cob so it smokes cool, has a nice look, and it's cost effective. It being cost effective has no pull on why I think it is the best pipe. I would gladly have paid $50 for the pipe I love it so much. Only negative is that it's a cob and that can be looked down on or undervalued by other pipers. So yes I would say I've found the 'Best Pipe' for me.
However, my dream pipe would have to be one those Peterson Mark Twain black Tankards :)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm big on a comfortable/clenchable bit and prefer saddles and tapered stems that approximate the former's bit size. Beyond that the size of the bowl, where I prefer a group 4/5. I certainly like beautiful pipes but as long as it isn't duck-ugly it will serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.