PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
How do they smoke with the filter removed?

Is the filter housed in the shank or the stem?

Thanks!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you've read very many cob threads you know that most of us eschew the filter and smoke away.

The pipe's filter inserts partially into both stem and shank.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have been using the Savinelli 6mm balsa inserts which work well. Savanelli makes an insert to eliminate the filter. I just just ordered two Forever Stems for the Missouri Meerschaums, one for filtered and one for non-filtered which eliminate the filter. Or, you can just remove the filter as noted and crack-on.Or you can use a filter, some do.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Tarak,

btw, love the Tele in your avatar. Can't tell if your chording or sliding that far up the neck, probably sliding?

I think the cob may be the Telecaster of the pipe world.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Kane,
Since I only smoke cobs, chamber diameter means little to me, it is what it is. The Diplomat, Great Dane and Mark Twains also have the larger (3/4s of an inch) chamber. A single Dunhill Flake, folded and stuffed, fits perfectly in my Great Danes, smokes well. A full Sam Gawith bulk flake (5 inches long or so) fits in the General quite nicely.
I leave the filter in for the first smoke or two, some new cobs have a very woodsie flavor at first. After that no filter, great draw, cleaner goes in without a hitch on 99% of my cobs. The older they get the better they are (I have some that have been smoked for 10 years, they get narly).
At the price of a decent 100 g tin...

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
MSO489,
"in jacket and tie, although jeans and faded t-shirt work well"
Two of my daughters graduated college on subsequent weekends. The first was at Independence Hall in DC, afterwards we strolled by the White House, all dolled up, me with a cob. The next weekend we were trasping across a pasture to the ceremony, under a tent (an AG school). Not so dolled up, but with a cob sticking out of my mug. They fit in in both cases.
"They work fine for any blend, no worries"
Any blend in the same pipe, no ghosting..

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Do you folks like the small chambers?
For shorter smokes, yes. I have a couple of Missou models and a Huck Finn that I use for lunchtime lunting (they last about half an hour to 45 minutes). On the other end of the spectrum, I also have a couple of Country Gentleman models and a Mark Twain that have much larger chambers, which last a good hour plus a bit...

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I'm going to include a Huck Finn in my Dunhill order this month. You people have got me curious.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Wow, thats quite a selection! Unfortunately the shipping to Sweden will probably cost more than the pipe. Maybe I should do a more thorough search of more local retailers first.

Its damn tempting though!! :)

justinm91

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
As some of ya'll know, I did order a Country Gentleman, and I did finally test it. I loved it. Went through the whole thing no issues, smoked great.. I did rip that darn filter out though. Much better no filter. I don't really overly see a point since it's not being inhaled. Probably my best smoking pipe of the bunch so far!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Alex, even if it costs 2x the cost of the pipe, it will be less than half of decent briar. Order several and re-sell them at home and they could be free. Just sayin.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
It seems I have placed myself in good company reading the responses above. While I will always smoke and enjoy my briars, cobs are now in my world too! I believe I'd like more, and I find myself craving smoking with them....particularly, Escudo sounds like an amazing idea!

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
As much as I don't like the look or feel of cobs, I must admit they seem to smoke marvellously. I ordered one just to see what the fuss was about (they're hard to come by here in the UK), and I really wanted to dislike it. But, the bloody thing is growing on me...
The Mrs is at work, the kid is asleep, and I've just finished off a wonderful bowl of Dunhill Flake in my cob.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
that's basically been my experience joeval- Not that I particularly disliked the look, but I disliked the idea for some reason. Finally tired one out and....it was a real pleasant smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.