Finally Taking this Seriously After a Few Years!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks very much. Yes I think I’m going to just do that. All the pipes I have are about $45 pipes and ehhh. Flake is actually my favorite. Virginia and and English. Just getting into Cake now and liking it very much so
You are on your way to the big leagues smoking flakes. Now you just need the right pipes. I would recommend group 4-5 sized pipes to begin with as they will give you an 1-2 hour smoke depending on how you pack it. One thing you should never do is not check the draw before lighting up. You want a tad of resistance as too loose burns hot and fast and you get no flavor. If it is a tad tight take a pipe cleaner and run it into the bottom of the bowl, that will loosen it up almost every time. Always check the draw no matter how far down the bowl you are. it is crucial. Don't ight up before checking the draw, ever.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022
Brooklyn. NY
linktr.ee
[Edit: removed duplication.]
You are on your way to the big leagues smoking flakes. Now you just need the right pipes. I would recommend group 4-5 sized pipes to begin with as they will give you an 1-2 hour smoke depending on how you pack it. One thing you should never do is not check the draw before lighting up. You want a tad of resistance as too loose burns hot and fast and you get no flavor. If it is a tad tight take a pipe cleaner and run it into the bottom of the bowl, that will loosen it up almost every time. Always check the draw no matter how far down the bowl you are. it is crucial. Don't ight up before checking the draw, ever.
Very much appreciated for the tips!
Yes I have been for sure. Actually a big reason why I got back into this and full force was because I had found out I was lighting wrong and not packing properly. Once I learned that it changed it all... I'm curious if you could explain further on the type of pipe you are talking about. Still learning.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Harris- Of course I did check the draw before lighting per your advice when I joined the forum. However, over the past 6-7 years I dropped that step. Haven't had but one incident of the draw being restricted. Do you still take a separate step on that now?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jp, damn are you Nostradamus. A few weeks ago I smoked 3 bowls in a row and they smoked like shit. I cannot remember the last bad smoke I had due to pilot error. So I paid attention and I realized I was not pushing in the tobacco far enough to give me the resistance I want. I was being lazy and not paying attention and I wasn't even checking the draw.

I figured this out in about 2 bowls, felt like a freaking rookie, jumped on the back of the horse, paid strict attention and my smokes were perfect again. It just goes to show that no many how many years piping you may have you can still screw up. I am back to my perfect fills and perfect smokes and once again I am the Maven of the great pipe smoker. If any of you serfs need help just get it touch I would be more than happy to help you become like me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Sep 4, 2022
Brooklyn. NY
linktr.ee
jp, damn are you Nostradamus. A few weeks ago I smoked 3 bowls in a row and they smoked like shit. I cannot remember the last bad smoke I had due to pilot error. So I paid attention and I realized I was not pushing in the tobacco far enough to give me the resistance I want. I was being lazy and not paying attention and I wasn't even checking the draw.

I figured this out in about 2 bowls, felt like a freaking rookie, jumped on the back of the horse, paid strict attention and my smokes were perfect again. It just goes to show that no many how many years piping you may have you can still screw up. I am back to my perfect fills and perfect smokes and once again I am the Maven of the great pipe smoker. If any of you serfs need help just get it touch I would be more than happy to help you become like me.
Lmfo this was a great real. Thanks so much. Seems like this is so true. Just that it will be a journey. to have fun. Make mistakes and find new things to learn and have fun with it

Sep 4, 2022
Brooklyn. NY
linktr.ee

Since posting. I got about 5 tins. With 10 in my cart ready to go of all the different families of tobacco to see what I really enjoy. Right now I found out I love VA/PER's... I purchased a good estate Peterson pipe. And a old family friend gave me 7 old briars to bring back to life for a project. Been having a blast with it.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
...try and get acrylic stems
Welcome from Winnipeg!

Some of us specifically avoid acrylic stems. I find them too hard. Much prefer vulcanite for its feel. It takes a modicum of effort to maintain. The vast majority of high end artisan pipes have vulcanite stems, as do most vintage pipes. There's a reason why that's the case. Most new Italian pipes have acrylic stems with some exceptions. To each their own. The first pipes I bought had acrylic stems for the most part and I ended up selling all of them.

Rossi pipes were mentioned above. Also check out Genod and Ropp pipes. Lots of shapes. Great value. Some of the Ropps have horn stems, which are kinda cool. Smokingpipes.com has a ton of selection and their database is searchable, so it's pretty easy to find exactly what you're looking for.

Sep 4, 2022
Brooklyn. NY
linktr.ee
Than
Welcome from Winnipeg!

Some of us specifically avoid acrylic stems. I find them too hard. Much prefer vulcanite for its feel. It takes a modicum of effort to maintain. The vast majority of high end artisan pipes have vulcanite stems, as do most vintage pipes. There's a reason why that's the case. Most new Italian pipes have acrylic stems with some exceptions. To each their own. The first pipes I bought had acrylic stems for the most part and I ended up selling all of them.

Rossi pipes were mentioned above. Also check out Genod and Ropp pipes. Lots of shapes. Great value. Some of the Ropps have horn stems, which are kinda cool. Smokingpipes.com has a ton of selection and their database is searchable, so it's pretty easy to find exactly what you're looking for.
ks so much. Yes my good friend was breaking that down recently. He is the one that gave me a handful of vintage briar pipes with vulcanite stems. Right now I’m in the middle of restoring there stems as there is a lot of oxidation but they are beautiful pipes. Smokingpipes.com has been my go to for sure so far. Waiting on some obsidian oil now! Hoping that works well for the color. Thank you again and will check out those brands. I have a couple ropp and Rossi pipes on my wishlist

Reactions: Winnipeger
Sep 4, 2022
Brooklyn. NY
linktr.ee
I am glad I could give you a good laugh. Now do as I tell you and then report back. You are on the clock, 48 hours or suffer the consequences.
Oh for sure! I was and have been the last couple of days really been trying to get that sweet spot of the “Drinking through a straw” today I went overboard and put a pipe cleaner through while smoking and re tampered and was good to go. Been playing with how dry to get the Tobacco before packing as well.

Sep 4, 2022
Brooklyn. NY
linktr.ee
These have all been added to my repertoire…

Attachments

• E5A4EA55-C5A8-4058-BD2A-26C2F8427257.jpeg
    E5A4EA55-C5A8-4058-BD2A-26C2F8427257.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 0696C933-BF3D-41CC-8C9B-0DF831B4931C.jpeg
    0696C933-BF3D-41CC-8C9B-0DF831B4931C.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 2
  • 1E9D2649-40C4-416F-B160-3F5DFC132BE7.png
    1E9D2649-40C4-416F-B160-3F5DFC132BE7.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 6D8726B7-FE62-4149-A9DD-7DCB712F813A.jpeg
    6D8726B7-FE62-4149-A9DD-7DCB712F813A.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 3
Sep 4, 2022
Brooklyn. NY
linktr.ee
This is what I’m about to get

Attachments

• 31FF609E-5AD8-4CE9-BC7A-942D8F0D7D02.png
    31FF609E-5AD8-4CE9-BC7A-942D8F0D7D02.png
    190.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 80CFD710-38D6-49A0-9DF8-8A192BB68160.png
    80CFD710-38D6-49A0-9DF8-8A192BB68160.png
    194.9 KB · Views: 0
  • A64D2A30-5411-4DD6-BB92-0E669BC0C01A.png
    A64D2A30-5411-4DD6-BB92-0E669BC0C01A.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2347D022-2B6D-4DD6-AFE8-3551EDBA301E.png
    2347D022-2B6D-4DD6-AFE8-3551EDBA301E.png
    175.7 KB · Views: 0

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
This is what I’m about to get
Looks like you have a lot of work to do. Checking new blends will also make you change packing methods as some blends come more moist than others. I have a sweet spot for the humidity of my tobacco. I want my flakes to fold but not to break off due to not enough humidity. If a blend is too moist while I am smoking it, I will run a fluffy pipe cleaner through it and then slow my cadence a bit and that usually always works. Smoking pipes is not for sissy's this is big boy stuff and those willing to learn the art of pipe smoking.