PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

setherd

Lurker
May 9, 2013
I'm new to pipe smoking. I started with some Captain Black gold and an aromatic from a local tobacco store, but really wasn't that impressed.

I'm very busy and was hoping to find a local place that carried Dunhill Nightcap or McClelland Frog morton.

Last week a had a little time between jobs and used my phone to look for any local tobacco store that might carry pipe tobacco. I found one.

The store looks like a tobacco lovers garage. Boxes piled everywhere, it was a mess. Mostly cigars with a nice walk in humidor but he had quite a bit of bulk pipe tobacco as well. He only carried 3 brands of tinned though.

But here was why I am glad I went to a local place instead of just randomly picking things out online. We talked a while, I told him what I had tried so far, he was trying to steer me towards the milder blends. Once I told him I'd been smoking cigars for almost 20 years he immediately said, "you'll probably love an English then".
Long story short, he recommended Peterson's Old Dublin. Once I got to smoke it in my $5 corn cob, I loved it! It had the complex flavors and some spiciness I usually associate with a good cigar.

I'm not sure if it's the latakia I like or something else but I am looking forward to experimenting till I find out :)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Old Dublin is a wonderful blend; I smoke it regularly, and have been for years.
Get it in a good briar, and it will sing for you. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
setherd, welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you found something you like. Being a former cigar smoker, you might want to try Escudo. It is a world class blend that opened my eyes to how good pipe smoking can be. I would suggest you get a few more pipes so that way you can rest them properly.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I've got a Sav dedicated to it. Jud turned me on to Old Dublin last year. It has since been my favorite blend. Good luck with your journey into piping.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Nice to know I could help, Sean! It is lovely stuff - that basma is what makes the difference, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.