PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
How do you folks feel about them? I'm very new to smoking....period! So, I have no need for nicotine, but want to experience the aromas of some fine pipe tobaccos...sounds like a crazy thing to start at 52, given such a dislike of cigarettes and cigars so much. I want to stay away from tobaccos that have a high nicotine content, I'm after the aroma.
So do the pipe filters work well in holding back th N?

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think pipe filters absorb moisture more than they effect nicotine, but I could be wrong. My general mantra about filters is that if a pipe was designed to use one, such as a Savinelli, the airflow will be most ideal with a filter. But I mostly buy pipes that specifically were not designed for filter use.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I usually take them out, I think the taste improves a bit

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I started smoking a pipe at 45; never too old to explore something new. I smoke predominantly cobs and have removed the filters. I found the filters toned down the flavor and absorbed a lot of moisture. Going without filters I find a better draw and fuller flavors when I smoke. If moisture becomes a problem mid smoke I use a pipe cleaner to take care of it; however it is pretty rare that I need to do that.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I like how they keep the moisture down since I smoke aromatics which, to my understanding, gather more moisture than non aromatics. The problem is that I don't feel like I'm getting the full experience of the tobacco I'm smoking, although it might just be a subconscious thing. To combat the moisture problem, I've started using these pipe stones that do a pretty good job of keeping the moisture levels low. So, since I've been using those, I've had no need for a filter.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You just have to try filters and decide for yourself; MM cob pipes are a good way to do this without investing a lot in both types. Lower nicotine has as much or more to do with what tobacco you select. Many blends have very little nicotine. Read reviews and Forums post to get some guidance on which blends do and which don't. If the strength of a tobacco is rated mild, it usually has less nicotine. You can find lower nicotine blends in both aromatic (flavored) and non-aromatic blends.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
i like them in my cobs for moisture and for not getting a mouthful of tobacco spit ( i smoke with a wet mouth all the time). But to his, his own. I think a better/thinner filter could be designed rather then some of the rolled/wadded paper filters out there.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
"If the strength of a tobacco is rated mild, it usually has less nicotine."
So when I'm looking at descriptions of tobacco at smokingpipes.com, t he strength ratings of the tobacco refer to it's relative nicotine content?

Status
Not open for further replies.