Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
GLP's Laurel Heights is another one with a microscopic dash of Latakia. In fact, I refused to believe that it had Latakia until, Greg himself came on he forum and verified. To me, it added a very slight leathery flavor that poked up only occasionally throughout the bowl. I was just expecting too much when I tried Fillmore. Maybe the Latakia or just having my expectations set too high, I just didn't take to it. Maybe, now that I know it has a dash of Latakia, I may have to give it another try.

I am absolutely sure that there are other leaf added to almost all of the blends on the market. Virginias with some Burley added, or a dash of Maryland, and many straight Virginias add a dash of perique for whatever reason. OGS is one that has been said to do that. But, no one would ever call OGS a VaPer. It's still a straight Virginia because there's not enough perique to even taste in it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"There have been reports going back years that certain batches present more lat than others."
Bigpond, that is very interesting. I've not heard the same myself but I don't doubt your word.
The amount in my tin is far from microscopic and I would say well over 1%. Perhaps I just got a rogue tin?
"I really enjoy that bit of Latakia in Fillmore."
Joseph, nice to hear you acknowledge that Latakia is indeed in there as some folks have told me they can neither smell it nor taste it...therefore it isn't in there!
It's not full on as I would say it is in say EMP or Nightcap but it's most certainly there.
Thanks for your input chaps :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Jay, Challenge accepted!

From back in the way back

http://www.pipes.org/forums/messages/8859/33262.html?1233003790
Here's a page from Greg's old blog on same

http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=38
I'd imagine he may be a little prickly having to answer the same question 10 years on, but then again, can't be too hard to add a few words to the tin, can it?
Anyway, I really enjoy Fillmore and have found that certain pipes really do emphasize the lat. One pipe in particular with an 18mm bowl was pure lat for the first 1/4 bowl or so. Was quite a surprise as that pipe had only smoked 100% VA flake previously.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Bigpond, many thanks for going to the trouble to provide the links, they made for interesting reading!
It would seem to perhaps be a manufacturing issue if it happens that some batches have more Latakia content than others? That some folks don't detect it at all seems to bear this out. If that is the case then it's a pretty poor show in my book. I appreciate that year on year consistency (of a blend) is a never ending struggle for blenders but the amount of a particular condimental leaf added to a blend is much more controllable...or it should be.
Still as you point out, it can't be too difficult to mention the content on the tin. I doubt it is omitted to deceive but that is how I felt when I purchased my tin. Indeed, I suspect there are more lovers of Latakia than haters so to make mention of it could only be a good thing no?
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.