PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When the FDA decides to impose the lawyer/politician/revenooer tax on pipe tobacco, clearly it will be harder to get and thus, more expensive. This will set off a chain reaction:
1. Less tobacco = less joy.

2. Less joy = more rage.

3. Squirrels can sense rage and will come to plunder the garden.

4. They must die in a hail of 7.62mm bullets.
So I figured I'd ask the wise members here, what's a good value in assault rifles these days? If I lose any more tomatoes to those squirrels, I'm going to need a 150-lb tin of Royal Yacht just to chill out again.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Single shot .22 rifles are cheap. One shot one kill. Clean squirrel, wrap in bacon and put in oven or on grill!
Or you can rent my squirrel killing cat for the small price of a stick of Strang!

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
I'm partial to Rock River Arms offerings in 5.56 for game up to 250lbs.

Funny, Skip and I were just discussing this at The Briary. This year I've had goffers and squirrels wreaking havoc in the garden, probably FDA related, IDK. But, I've been running around like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack, setting out traps, detrent sprays, and my 22. If I lose one more tomato plant, I'll be looking into goffer shaped explosives. "Here Mr Goffer, come and get some sexy plastique female goffer."

My stupid dog just stands at the holes and barks. :::sigh::: :puffy:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Save your ammo. Just pack all of the squirrels in a car, send them over to my city of Chicago on one of its expressways and more likely than not they’ll all be shot within a day or so. Sorry, but this fucking city has turned into a war zone and it makes the Da Nang valley of '65 look like Epcot Center. :twisted:
Other than that, I haven't even planted any tomato's yet as it's been too damn cold here (coldest May in 14 years).

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Very sorry to hear it. Seems a nice place other than the constant gunfire, a lot like Detroit and LA.
Actually, and luckily, I live in a very nice neighborhood on the extreme NW side of Chicago and with a 5 minute drive I'm out of Chicago. But, it's getting to the point that I'm sickened by waking up each morning to hear/see on the news of yet another senseless shooting by some animal(s) from one of the plethora of 'gangs' that have over run certain areas of the city and are so brain dead that they have no idea how to use, much less aim a f'ing gun and end up shooting innocent children in their beds. That, and this multitude of insane shootings of innocent people while driving on the Chicago area expressways. Sorry for the rant as I don't wish to derail the thread.
I think it's time I smoke a bowl of your never ending accolades of RY, which I haven't smoked in a few weeks, with a stiff drink and relax on the front porch.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Royal Yacht, a most excellent choice!
I am told that above the Mason-Dixon it happens that sometimes the sky lets loose with a cold, white, fluffy substance. This is odd and I assume it is just lore.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Mini 14's are fun for squirrel and small game. I like mine in 223, and even use it for the coyotes that are dumb enough to come into my rabbit call. Put the sites on em and squeeze the trigger three times in rapid succession and you end up with a dead yote or groundhog!

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
7.62 mm is an expensive way to kill squirrels.
20 gauge works great for squirrels. 12 gauge leaves them a real mess if you are too close. Steel small game shot is best, steel target loads work but hit pretty hard and again leave a mess if you are too close.
If you plan to eat them and don't want to risk biting into any shot, .22lr works great. I use either a Marlin M60 or a Ruger 10-22 for squirrels.

Jun 4, 2014
Some mighty expensive suggestions to kill a few squirrels. My suggestion a .32 caliber flintlock squirrel rifle, cheap to shoot as a you only need about 25 grains of powder per load so you'll get 280 shots out of a pound of powder. If you use a heavy patch you can use no1 buckshot for balls , last time I looked 8lbs cost around $45.00. Since it's a flint lock no caps to buy. If you need a quick second shot but a swivel breech. Them fancy suppository guns will never catch on!

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
orig.jpg

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Having just killed 21 tree rats this spring I would highly recommend a Crossman 2240 pistol.

If you are looking to go bigger build your own AR type assault rifle. Get some 80% finished receivers (no FFL needed) and make your own.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I don't want to sound like a wussie... but an .177 pellet air-rifle has served me VERY well against evil and wiley squirrels... muzzle velocity of around 1000fps or more. When we moved in from the country 5 or 6 years ago, we had to sorta lay back the heavy artillery. Can't (legally) discharge fire-arms inside town limits now. In my anger at the rotten little pillagers, I've even shot them through the back-porch screening, 1 shot, 1 kill, through the heart and instantly down.(much more left to eat, if one was so inclined.) Gets me on Her Majesty's sht-list, well, mine as well, but I get a very serious feeling of justice being done!! Incidently, our neighbor out in the country used to shoot ground hogs in his garden from his back-porch with his favorite .30-06 deer rifle. On hearing the blast one day, I wandered over and said, "Hey Charles, isn't that a little overkill"? "Hell no... nothing left to clean up!!" God bless Muhrickuh!

Status
Not open for further replies.