PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
Lets see...I think these are all discontinued but I ate a ton of them: Zagnut bar, Zero bar, Clark bar, Ice Cubes (shaped like a Chunky), Bun (shaped like a squished down Chunky). My absolute all-time favorite wasn't a candy bar, it was called Fizzies. When I looked them up a while back, I found they were discontinued when it was discovered one of their ingredients caused cancer in lab rats or something.

• Wow
Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
There's a box of chocolates in the UK called Cadbury Milk Tray. In the 70's & 80's they decided to sell them, but in a bar of chocolate. All the different centers & shapes just fused together in a small bar. Only 10p😲. If they sold it today it'd probably cost £187.

1699633767527.png

Jun 9, 2018
England
I'll open this up to crisps/chips and ice lollies, as well.

I remember Hedgehog Flavoured Crisps.
1699634129363.png
From Wikipedia:
"They were withdrawn from sale in 1982 when the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) alleged a breach of the Trade Descriptions Act 1968 as the product was flavoured with pork fat and herbs and contained no actual hedgehog".
🦔❌

They used to sell an ice lolly called "Boomy". It was 3 individual fruit sorbets on a stick and I loved them. I believe they still sell them in other parts of the world. Haven't seen them in the UK since the 1990's.

1699634352288.png

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Wasn't really a big fan of candy bars. But growing up in Korea, they have this fish cake on a stick called "Atom Bar". Remember eating it in elementary school from street vendors. Damn. Don't miss much about Korea, but sure would love to have all the foods I used to eat there.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Sen-Sen! Rich's Cigar in Portland, Oregon, was one of the few places that sold them:
517px-Sen-Sen.jpg

Not discontinued but difficult to find in the USA, Tim Tams:
Tim-Tam-Original_1200x1200.png

• Love
Reactions: mso489 and Kobold

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
Still available. Bought one today. Now I'm going to eat it.
I'm a big fan of refrigerated of a Zero and a glass of milk, personally. Probably terrible for my teeth though.

Skybars were out of production for a while a year or two ago, but they're back now. Those are a favorite of mine.
Zagnut bar, Ice Cubes (shaped like a Chunky)

I'm also pretty sure Zagnut is still in production, but their availability has been a bit shaky for a couple years.
I'm used to seeing boxes/jars of Ice Cubes near the register at candy stores.

Reactions: scloyd

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Lets see...I think these are all discontinued but I ate a ton of them: Zagnut bar, Zero bar, Clark bar, Ice Cubes (shaped like a Chunky), Bun (shaped like a squished down Chunky). My absolute all-time favorite wasn't a candy bar, it was called Fizzies. When I looked them up a while back, I found they were discontinued when it was discovered one of their ingredients caused cancer in lab rats or something.
Ice Cubes are still available (my favorite) and I believe Zero and Zagnut are as well.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Sen-Sen! Rich's Cigar in Portland, Oregon, was one of the few places that sold them:
517px-Sen-Sen.jpg

Not discontinued but difficult to find in the USA, Tim Tams:
Tim-Tam-Original_1200x1200.png
I used to love Sen Sen! My grandma used to send it to me in her letters all the time.

• Love
Reactions: mingc

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Even back in the 50's my favorite was a Reese's cup. They were a nickel each. Good sized too. There was an assortment of baked goods too, that appealed to a snack minded youngster. Most popular likely Hostess Devil's food cupcakes. I would always opt for the Yankee Doodle cupcakes. They weren't frosted, but you got 3 and they were still cream filled. Cupcakes were a dime. We'd sell bottles back that we'd found along the roadside at 2 and 5 cents each depending on size.