SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 23, 2019
It'll be tough to find one of any significance. If only because for a reviewer to be useful you really only need him or her to be consistent, (neutral but not necessarily without preferences), and have a huge database. This way once you have an understanding of their taste you can compare across the reviews. With YouTube not monetizing tobacco related videos, I just can't see there being an environment for anyone to build a big enough coverage of different blends.

Personally, I use the same reviewer on TobaccoReviews who's reviewed ALLLLLLL of them as a measuring stick. We have very different preferences, but I've found that I can judge very consistently how much I'd like a blend based of their reviews.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I like “My good friend Bradley” from Stuff and Things. He does excellent reviews by showing the blend, smoking it and giving his opinion on the video and follows a well planned out format for most of his videos. He also does (or did) random videos of other items as well. Very entertaining channel and he does an excellent job at articulating as much as possible about each and every topic. He completes his channel with short “First Smoke” reviews as well! I also enjoy Muttonchops and his reviews.

In additions I enjoy perusing the poorly delivered reviews from guys who are probably great people but half-ass the videos they put up.

Last edited:

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
I usually watch Bremen Pipe Smoker for his entertaining videos. He's a history prof. and sometimes shoots on location to give us a short history tour before getting to the review. Sometimes he'll do the review up front but most of his content is interesting enough to stick around anyways. I recommend watching his vid on meerschaum pipes as he's been smoking them for 20 years and has some valuable knowledge to glean from.

Then of course muttonchop piper but he's too busy nowadays to make videos. However, his old content is a good how-to reference for new pipe smokers.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I like Derek Tant's YouTube videos. He covers a range of piping topics, gives impressions of tobacco blends, reviews pipes, talks about life as a pipe smoker. Funny, high-energy guy.

Bremen, as mentioned earlier is an interesting watch. He has access to blends that are tricky to find in N. America. I don't check him out regularly.

Muttonchop piper, just really like his thoughts on blends and piping. Mellow videos, like his style, but vids can run long.

i like the Smokingpipes video interviews they do with pipe makers, lots of various content & a few diff reviewers via that channel.

The Pipe Nook (Eddie) has a lot of tobacco impressions/pipe talk up.

I like how very different all the above people are to each other.

I enjoyed a couple of @chasingembers videos on YouTube. One of the reasons is to see a passionate person talking about his hobby.

I have not seen many other videos on YouTube. If I am trying to find about something in general, I mostly think it is a waste of time. I prefer reading over videos - being a fast reader I can read a review (Like @jiminks ) in about 2 seconds - YouTube videos will take a lot more to come to point.

In terms of entertainment of course, I like videos, but I have observed that YouTube videos do not have a tight storyline. The goal of YouTube videos is for the subscribers to stay on the page and click on ads - so folks rumble and becomes boring very fast to me.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I don't like video reviews. The very concept of a video review of tobacco seems for the most part exceedingly self-centered. Nobody needs to watch a video of you smoking! puf Written reviews accomplish everything important that a much lengthier video review could accomplish. A transcription of a 5 minute video review could probably be read in under 30 seconds.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I tend to agree with you Lawdawg, but I've grown fond of having Stuff and Things videos playing while I'm doing something menial, like dishes or cooking supper. Overall I prefer written reviews, but a few videos can be informative and/or enjoyable.