Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I love wings and a local grocer often has them reasonably priced. Without a fryer, I tend to roast seasoned wings (salt, pepper, garlic powder) at 475 until crispy, toss in a sauce, then broil until crispy again.

I get decent results, but can't find a wing sauce that "does it" for me. I'm looking for flavor and heat. Any suggestions for a favorite wing sauce?

Aside from Buffalo sauce (which I can't seem to nail), my typical flavors are a basic bbq, garlic parmesan, and a dry rub curry masala wing. Any additional flavor suggestions are appreciated too.

As for my wing preferences: bone in, flats slightly over drums, and blue cheese or get out.

And since food posts are better with photos, my disappointing buffalo and awesome garlic parmesan wings are below.

20230430_134331.jpg

Reactions: AcesAndEights

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
My first job was dishwasher at Bunky's Raw Bar ... every night i had to bag steamers (in the net bags) and cut and flower and bag 100lbs of chicken wings, that's not including doing the dishes and whatever else i was told, i was 14 and happy to make money ... well for the first couple months, needless to say i hate chicken wings and everything about them. I never eat them.

Bunky's is actually still around 45yrs later.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I love a good wing sauce. Especially buffalo, but i love em all really. There's a great wing bar near me looking out over the ocean from atop a 4x4 mountain road. They have like 22 flavors, my favorite (and their most popular) is "spicy honey garlic"!

Try something tropical or oriental. Mango habanero is always super yumz... Get wild with it.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Frank's and butter, but there are other dry spices at play, including celery seed, garlic powder, and dries cayenne if you want a kick. I have not mastered the proportions, but it's getting close to what I remember from growing up in South Buffalo.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Here’s a crowd pleaser. Pat your wings dry with paper towels, put them in a bowl or bag. Add 1tbsp salt & pepper &/or your favorite bbq dry rub(amount of seasoning may vary, depending on how many wings you’re making. Use best judgment.) Add 1/2 tsp baking powder or enough to lightly coat wings. This helps crisp up the skin. Cook however you like(fry, oven, grill, smoke) until crispy & internal temperature is 175°F. This helps loosen the connective tissues & makes getting the meat off the bone easier.
While wings are cooking, take a pot, melt 1/2 a stick of butter, 1/2 a cup of siracha(if you can find it), 1/2 a cup of honey, & a tsp of sesame oil. Heat the sauce until it’s bubbly & well combined. Remove from heat.
When the wings are done, put them in a large bowl, pour the sauce over, & toss to coat. If you’re feeling really fancy you can sprinkle sesame seeds & green onions on top.
I’ll typically smoke my wings at 250° for 45 min or so, then pop into a 475° oven till they get to 175°.
The trick to crispy skin is the baking powder. I’ve done them with & without & it definitely makes the difference. Hope this helps!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My first job was dishwasher at Bunky's Raw Bar ... every night i had to bag steamers (in the net bags) and cut and flower and bag 100lbs of chicken wings, that's not including doing the dishes and whatever else i was told, i was 14 and happy to make money ... well for the first couple months, needless to say i hate chicken wings and everything about them. I never eat them.

Bunky's is actually still around 45yrs later.
Glad someone else understands why I hate wings! Similar thing for me too.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I love wings and a local grocer often has them reasonably priced. Without a fryer, I tend to roast seasoned wings (salt, pepper, garlic powder) at 475 until crispy, toss in a sauce, then broil until crispy again.

I get decent results, but can't find a wing sauce that "does it" for me. I'm looking for flavor and heat. Any suggestions for a favorite wing sauce?

Aside from Buffalo sauce (which I can't seem to nail), my typical flavors are a basic bbq, garlic parmesan, and a dry rub curry masala wing. Any additional flavor suggestions are appreciated too.

As for my wing preferences: bone in, flats slightly over drums, and blue cheese or get out.

And since food posts are better with photos, my disappointing buffalo and awesome garlic parmesan wings are below.

View attachment 244548
I worked at the very first BW3 in the 80's.

Durkee's
Stick butter
Pinch of Corn starch (adds thickness/body to the sauce)

That's it for the BW3 medium.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
For Buffalo, I like to use a quarter cup of Frank's Red Hot and a tbsp of melted butter. Mix thoroughly and toss wings. To me it's a great balance of flavor and heat. Frank's is the quintessential buffalo flavor to me. You could always add some extra pepper (minced Habanero for instance) if you want more heat.