Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
American style blends, meaning various combinations of
  • Virginia

Burley

Perique

Orientals

I used to be into British blends, but nowdays my palate and sinuses object to the Latakia. I dunno why.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
My favorites seem to change over time. Lately cavendish and also burly blends have been my fav.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
I need balance so ill go back and forth between virginias and flavored tobacco.

pipegangster

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2009
Upstate NY
Ghost45, may I suggest Peter Stokkebye Whiskey (aged whiskey aroma) or Peter Stokkebye Highland Whiskey. Either have a good whiskey taste to them and are good quality tobacco as well. Not overley cased and goopy. I ordered some C&D Afterhours a VA flake with spiced rum. I highly recommend this as well, but obviously spiced rum flavored and not whiskey.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I like just about all tobaccos - as long as they are made well and don't have a bite. It often depends on my mood. Earlier in the day - I will have a more aromatic or virginia type blend. As my nightcap - I will go to a heavier English blend.
I do enjoy virginia/perique blends too. Straight virginia blends are also tasty - Esoterica Tobacciana - has a straight virginia blend called Cardiff - that I have enjoyed in the past. Also I enjoy blends that have cognac and rum in them.
One thing is certain - my Humidor - I have a little Gothic Chest with drawers that I fill up with different tobaccos - is I can't smoke the same thing all the time.
Like I said - it all depends on my mood.

mrsmokeyman

Lurker
Dec 19, 2009
can you please post a pic or two of the aformentioned humidor?
peoples tobacco furnature is super interesting imo... i would love to see what this thing looks like :)

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
I don't have the ability to do that right now - hence the abscence of my picture on this site. But - I will as soon as I figure everything out.
Charles
ps. I also like hybrid/cross over blends of tobaccos - English+Aromatics. Very tasty indeed.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
One tobacco type was left off. American/English blends: such as Revelation, Splilman Mixture, Barking Dog, and Count Pulaski. You guys may know of others.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Right. Americana by Cornell & Diehl is one of the few I will smoke;

and I've got nearly a ½ pound aging for a year now.

But I wouldn't call it a favorite, just a change of pace smoke.

DSCN0444-1.jpg

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I must try that one. Thanks. I also want to try Spilman Mixture. I enjoy Count Pulaski. The Count has the added benefit of having a room note that my wife and sons like. Well.. my wife tolerates.

buddhabear

Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
lol I agree with Phil..whatever is good and doesn't break the bank. I seem to like what I call 'regular' tobaccos over aromatics, but don't get me wrong, I dig the aromatics :D Though I'm not sure what a 'regular' pipe tobacco would be per se.. I figure Escudo Navy Deluxe, Boswell's Premium Burley, Flying Dutchman, and the like are regular type tobaccos...this is all new to me though.. I always thought Cavendish was a flavor or type of tobacco until I asked a gent at pipesandcigars.com who answered a bunch of questions for me..and was very nice too. :)

highstump

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2010
It seems to be a seasonal thing for me. Warmer temps call for a Virginia tobacco and as things cool off an English blend is needed. Codger burleys are a must year round.
My top three in each would probably be
Full Virginia Flake, Best Brown Flake, and Old Gowrie.
Squadron Leader, McClelland 5125, and Penzance.
Prince Albert, Edgeworth RR'd, and Carter Hall.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
I don't know if it's still being fairly new to the pipe I'm still drawn towards aromatics. Town Topic and Dan Blue Note are a couple of my fav's although I don't even know what type of tobacco they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.