PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
What shapes are yall a sucker to buy every time you see one presented well?
If they are shaped like this, I'll usually buy whatever is for sale.

2323145434_48714438fc.jpg

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Beautiful photo Pearse,....nice to see you here!
I love all my pipes but I guess my favorite would be my Peterson Dublin straight.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I can't say exactly what shape is my favorite. So far every pipe I own is an example of a different shape: apple, horn, billiard, rhodesian, volcano. Of those, my fave is the volcano. It just strikes me as a nice combinations of angles and curves. If I was going to add another couple to my collection, though, I'd be on the lookout for an author and maybe a brandy.
Simon

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Yeah thats dub from youtube lol. Love his videos to ive learned a ton from him.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
max's Caminetto looks VERY nice! I'd probably like it.
My faves tend to be straight or quarter-bent pipes that easily take a pipecleaner all the way to the bowl. Dublins, authors, saddle-bit billiards, lovats, generally more-or-less traditional shapes.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I'm in love with that girl, hobie.
I also like the prince/apple shape. Here's the Dunhill sitting on his big brother, the Sav 315 EX

And if this Stanwell poker ever makes it off the UPS truck, it's another fav.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Interesting thread with surprising results... Based on my years of operating a pipe shop I'm not surprised that so many of you like bulldogs, freehands etc. But what did surprise me is the interest in the Prince shape. I always found them to be a hard sell shape. Maybe tastes are changing. Who knows?
I don't think I have a "favorite" shape, but based on my own pipes I notice I have quite a few calabash shaped briars, bent apples, and saddle bit billards. What this all means, I don't have a clue.
It has been observer that when the Republicans are in power men like standard English shapes and when the Democrats are in power men like freehands.... go figure!

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
hrm... I'd have to say my favorite shape is the author style and all makes of that type; Ever seeking more but not having a whole lot of luck.
73496_165585596807044_100000668141632_386962_7183091_n.jpg

( wish my cheap digital took better images)

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I like bent shapes. OK, not technically a shape but, I only have 3 straights in my collection. Unless you count my 401 Savinelli CW, which I don't since it has a slight bend to it.
-Jason

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
My goal is to collect all the classic shapes or slight variations/interpratations there of. Wild freehands just make me feel like I'm being a goofball when I smoke em. But, I admire the work and all that goes into them, and whatever floats your pipe boat the better. I love the Brandy and Diplomat, currently looking for the right chimney. I got one spotted, now just to save and hope it's still there come payday!

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
" currently looking for the right chimney"
Your remark remined me of something. A while back I offered a Castello on Ebay. A Searock chimney with a military bit. Nice pipe. I didn't put a minumun on it and I forgot to monitor the bids. It sold for $40.! I screwed up bad because it should have gone for 2 or 3 times that. Moral of the story is watch your Ebay items....

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
I wonder if you know how hard a chimney (or topper) can be to keep lit after it's burned down about half way...

Status
Not open for further replies.