PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
My favorite pipe is a French Colossal, a straight bulldog. It is a huge chunk of Algerian briar, perfectly proportioned and a dream for Virginias. Always a cool, dry smoke. I've always loved the Rattray Virginias, but when I first smoked them in the Colossal, it was like watching the edited pan-and-scan Lawrence of Arabia all your life and then seeing the unedited widescreen version. If I were limited to one VA pipe, this would be it.
I got it at my local, the GatlinBurlier. It was in a lot of pipes they had bought from the widow of a pipe shop owner. He closed the store in 1969 and moved all the unsold pipes to his house, where it stayed until 2005, 20 years after he passed. I got another Colossal, a huge Dublin, that is a killer Va/Or pipe out of the same lot.

Aug 14, 2012
Favorites change. At the moment mine is an Ascorti which is about 3 1/2 inches long. It is a beautifully shaped pipe of the type called "aero blimp" by Radice, with the calabash type stem. The shank is very wide and completely hollow. The smokestream hits something that looks like a mini satellite dish. The airhole is in the center of the dish. What has to be cleaned out of the pipe later is collected on the dish and easy to wipe off. The smoke is very mellow despite the shortness of the pipe. The briar is flame grain, the stain does not ruin the taste of the smoke. I almost sent this pipe back because the draft hole was ever so little above the bottom of the bowl. I kept it because of laziness and also because I love the appearance. Glad I did keep it. The thing smokes great and is aesthetically pleasing. Alright, I'll shoot a picture.

Aug 14, 2012
Favorites change. At the moment mine is an Ascorti which is about 3 1/2 inches long. It is a beautifully shaped pipe of the type called "aero blimp" by Radice, with the calabash type stem. The shank is very wide and completely hollow. The smokestream hits something that looks like a mini satellite dish. The airhole is in the center of the dish. What has to be cleaned out of the pipe later is collected on the dish and easy to wipe off. The smoke is very mellow despite the shortness of the pipe. The briar is flame grain, the stain does not ruin the taste of the smoke. I almost sent this pipe back because the draft hole was ever so little above the bottom of the bowl. I kept it because of laziness and also because I love the appearance. Glad I did keep it. The thing smokes great and is aesthetically pleasing. Alright, I'll shoot a picture.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Every one of those pipes looks worthy of being a favorite.

I couldn't name a favorite pipe, be like picking a favorite child. Sure one of them is your favorite, but you don't want to hurt the others self esteem :nana:

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
My Davorin Morta from Block and Briar

Aug 1, 2012
I couldn't name a favorite pipe, be like picking a favorite child. Sure one of them is your favorite, but you don't want to hurt the others self esteem :nana:
Perfect. Like my mom used to say, "I love them each in their own special way."

Status
Not open for further replies.