PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
haha, perdurabo! Or OJK...
Yes there are some fantastic OTC inspired blends that are IMO better than the originals, as Sable some mentioned above, and I'd add Uhle's Blend 00. But CH, Granger and PA do have a place in one of my pipes at times.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm sorry guys, I can't smoke that crap.
The only OTC that I've had that was stellar was an Old pouch of Edgeworth RR ( the original) that I bought at an antique store for $3. It was amazing for a few days. Then it turned to dried Card "bored". I then bought a pound of Sutliff Ready Rubbed. It's close. But the cut was different, more like rolled oats. Still it taste good. I like it. I guess it qualifies as an OTC. But yea, OJK HAUNTED BOOKSHOP AND BURLEY FLAKE no 2 fill the OTC nostalgia for me.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
I recommend Sir Walter Aromatic to everybody, try it. Carter Hall and Prince Albert are always on hand.
One that isn't mentioned is Smokers Pride Rich Taste.

I wouldn't consider that an OTC but agree with you, it's good stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
OTC/pouch tobaccos make a moderately priced way to try many blends, most of which are time-tested and easy burns.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
City dwellers or those living close enough to a city to trek downtown as a young person will remember when newsstands were virtual pipe shops, carrying an array of over-the-counter pipe tobaccos and a selection of pipes, as well as a good variety of cigars. This was true of the sidewalk newsstands, but even more so of those occupying space in office building and hotel lobbies. Many who smoked pipes bought them at newsstands, if not a drugstores or department stores. In those days, over-the-counter meant just that. This lasted well into the 1960's, and still existed into the 1970's, but is now unusual or nonexistent most places.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The OTC's that haven't worked for me, though they might be excellent for others, are Half-and-Half, which tasted remarkably harsh for a blend of burley and Virginia which is almost a fail-proof blend, and Sir Walter Raleigh Regular that I bought in a Missouri country convenience store with an MM cob, which delivered only the slightest taste. I now love SWR Aromatic, and may give Regular another try. It wasn't bad, just faint flavored.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
I haven't found an OTC I would care to smoke regularly. I would probably give up the pipe if I had to only smoke OTCs.
OTCs are a lot like fast food, when you use cheap ingredients you get poor results.
There are a lot of bulks you can buy for 2-3$ an ounce that are good smokes. Don't waste your time with OTCs.

loomongous

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I find H&H, Prince Albert and Carter Hall to all be good drug store blends, but my favorite is SWR Aromatic.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had some Captain Black and it was okay, but if I want an okay aromatic I'll buy some Lane Limited bulks cause they're better and cheaper.
What I noticed from Half & Half and Carter Hall is they're just pretty bland. After having a pouch of each I realized why so many people use them to cut blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess it is debatable, but the fact that some blends are mostly sold in pouches and thus qualify as OTC isn't really some sort of reflection of their quality. Some are better than others, and some are better than various premium blends in tins, depending on taste, but also maybe in terms of quality of leaf. Putting it in a pouch or tub is simply a marketing decision. Sample selectively and you may find some you like.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
MSO,You brought up some good points here,actually I like when my tobacco come in pouches,somehow it seems to me that many newer pipers tend to think that tobacco sold in pouches has to be inferior to those sold in tins,this is nothing more but pure misunderstanding.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
In my view the entire concept of OTC has gone the way of the dinosaur. Here in Toronto, pipe tobacco is sold exclusively at tobacconist shops, and although some traditional pouched blends are still available, they are sold at the same location as the more expensive exotic blends. At least in my town, all blends are sold over the same counter.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
MacBaren's Mixture Scottish blend for me, as it's the only OTC sold here that suits my taste. Amphora isn't bad either. I would avoid Borkum Riff, it's below "standard" for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.