PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Cryptonomicon - N. Stephenson
Musashi - Eiji Yoshikawa
Taiko - Eiji Yoshikawa
The Complete Compleat Enchanter - L. Sprague de Camp (More of fictional mythology base on number of European mythologies)

Reactions: chilllucky and RonB

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
'You astonish me. I had no notion of it. Another language, sir? But I dare say it is much the same thing – a putain, as they say in French.'
'Oh no, nothing of the kind – not like at all. A far finer language. More learned, more literary. Much nearer the Latin. And by the by, I believe the word is patois, sir, if you will allow me.'
Just don't mix up "poutine" and "putain", like I did, talking to an old French Canadian couple while I was learning French years back! It's not the same thing! :ROFLMAO:

BCF

Dec 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
The novels, short stories and poetry of Wendell Berry about his fictional community of Port William, Kentucky. Beautiful writing about tobacco farming families spanning from the Civil War through the 20th century.

Reactions: RonB and jguss

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Don't really read a lot of historic fiction unless you count alternative history like Harry Turtledoves Southern Victory series.

Reactions: RonB

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
May not really be historical fiction but I enjoy Caleb Carr historical thrillers like “The Alienist”. A lot of period detail and some fictionalization of real historical figures. E.g., Theodore Roosevelt

Reactions: RonB

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Flash forward 20 years and the title of this thread will be "Have You Ever Read a Book?"
20 years? That's by far the best case scenario...you're much more optimistic than me.

More likely one big Mad Max theme park for however many are still around. Hope I'm wrong.

• Sad
Reactions: edger and RonB

Zack Miller

Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
My favorites are the works of Leon Uris and James Michener.
I like the early Michener—Tales of the South Pacific, Return to Paradise, Sayonara, The Bridges at Toko-Ri. His later work got too pendulous. I believe he employed subordinates to do much of the work.

Still, the first two works mentioned above place him among other greats of South Sea Literature like London, Nordhoff and Hall, Melville, Maugha, et al