Favorite Halvsies

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I love to stack a flake of LNF with a flake of LTF, and twist them together and insert that into my pipe. Luxury Twist Flake tends to be too flavored for me, and Luxury Navy Flake too drab and unexciting by itself. But, together something magical happens and the aroma of first light suggest to me the aromas of opening a new box with a brand new pair of cowboy boots inside.

I call the mix the Cosmic Twist. But, I really have to be in the mood for a more heavily cased smoke.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
It recently dawned on me that I should go halvsies between Salty Dogs and Mcconnell Black Flake, as both are among my very favorite tobaccos, and both seem to have (what I assumed would be) very complementary flavors.

I was wrong. It didn't work. The combination was worse than either of the parts.
Sort of a bummer, but it's fine -- I'll just keep enjoying each separately.

One combination that I strongly endorse is putting a layer of Vanilla Roll Cake over a base of Ennerdale.
Extremely complementary.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Gawith’s FVF & BBF
GH’s Brown Flake Unscented & Rum Twist
GH’s Brown Flake Unscented & Aniseed Twist
GH’s Coniston Cut Plug & Exclusiv Black Cherry (70-30 works better for this one).
Condorski & Exclusiv Black Cherry.

Used to smoke Ogdens mixture (St. Bruno & Gold Block) but don’t anymore. Current stuff doesn’t cut the mustard!

Reactions: edger and jbfrady

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Hu Makhuwa and indaba. Mak being nutty and some chocolate, indaba a hint of caramel

Hu Nyala and Makhuwa.

Hh lat flake and Wallace flake. Adds a little more complexity but still plenty of lat.

Reactions: jbfrady

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I prefer to enjoy a good single blend at a time to it's entirety. Sometimes though, one has to doctor certain blends to make them more preferable without wasting them. I have mixed in 1/4th G&H Dark Flake Scented with some of my Englishes that I find too Lat heavy and it tastes fantastic as well as adds strength. I had to half Gl Pease Chelsea Morning with Gas Light to make it in to a blend that is way more to my liking. Sometimes it turns a bland blend into something good and sometimes it doesn't work out so well.

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Its not halves but its mixing. One ☝️ f my favorite blends I call Psychoanalysis. Its base is either st bernard flake dor Directors cut. Then a healthy sprinkle of salty dogs and a pinch of blending lat. its one I always come back to.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Was gifted a tin of Cult Blood Red Moon.
My 1 bowl experience tells me I'll need to cut that by 1/2 or more for future enjoyment...
IDK, I keep a tub of Carter Hall around for experiments like that? No big loss if the combo sucks
I've softened Ennerdale by mixing as well
No recipes for ya though, I make it up as I go

Reactions: Scottmi and jbfrady

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I found a half and half mix recently that I'm really enjoying. A pinch, bigger or smaller, of Royal Yacht on the bottom and a pinch of Captain Black Original on top. The chocolate note from the Captain merges mid bowl with the Virginia and you end up with something approaching chocolate covered raisins but not in a heavily flavored, intrusive sort of way. It's excellent! I've smoked this combo in a few different pipes now and it's definitely repeatable and not a fluke.

Reactions: Scottmi and jbfrady

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
There is a Cavendish based blend from the local B&M that I like to spike with some blending latakia. I jar that for a few months before smoking. It turns out very well balanced and enjoyable. I think I should try pressing it next time.

When Lane Ready Rubbed was available, I mixed it 50/50 with Lane BLWB. It turned out very good every time.

Reactions: jbfrady