Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Opposite to recent thread, entitle: Christmas Song Elimintaion

What are some of your favorite Christmas songs? I have a few, but one that ranks up there is The Christmas Song, aka, Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire, by Nat King Cole.

Pretty cool, or hot, story behind the song:

It was written by Bob Wells and Mel Tormé, and first recorded by the Nat King Cole Trio in June 1946.

“According to Tormé, the song was written in July 1945 during a blistering hot summer. It was in an effort to "stay cool by thinking cool". Tormé said that he saw a spiral pad on his Wells’s piano with four lines written in pencil. They started, 'Chestnuts roasting..., Jack Frost nipping..., Yuletide carols…, Folks dressed up like Eskimos’. Tormé recalled that Wells didn’t think he was writing song lyrics. He thought if he could immerse himself in winter, then he could cool off. Forty minutes later the song was written. Tormé wrote all the music and some of the lyrics..."

Last edited:

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
The only one I like is Lennon's. And even then, I only like it because it's only a Christmas song in the least stringent tense.

My mom is incredibly festive and would blast them non-stop from Nov1-Dec31 every year without fail. To be fair, I'd hate anything so thoroughly over-played.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Carol of the bells is up there. Angels we have heard on high is another. O Holy night would probably round out my top 3.

Both Groban and Bocelli I’d argue are my preferred versions but I always like hearing renditions of them all to see what people do.
Best version of Carol of the Bells ever, IMO. Great old vinyl if you can find it. Had it forever.