PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Since you mentioned Briar Fox I’ll take that as a “clue”. I’ve never smoked Three Sails.

I also enjoy blends where the flavor comes “primarily” from the tobacco. I’ll call this “plain” but there’s no lack of flavor in “plain blends”

The following short list are pure or plain tobacco or naturally flavored:

C&D Winchester - only two ingredients, Red Virginia and Unsweetened Black Cavendish but just an incredible combination!

C&D Crooner - only two ingredients, Quality Burley and an herb called deer tongue. Another incredible but “plain” combination!

C&D Pegasus - Enough praise has been offered.

C&D Old Joe Krantz Series

C&D Burley Flake Series

HH Acadian Perique - if you can score some. A symphony of pure tobacco’s. Very flavorful and all of that flavor is tobacco.

All of that said, I suggest you try each of the old tyme, over the counter blends because I’m certain that one of these will be an eye opener. And although each of these has a process for added flavorings, they may meet your definition of “plain”.

Granger - of course
Carter Hall
Prince Albert
Sir Walter Raleigh
Amphora
Half n Half
Etc Etc
Last week I found a pipe I had loaded and not smoked. Could not for the life of me remember what it was as it had already been several days since I packed it.

I smoked it, it tasted great, and I kept trying to remember what it was. After I finished it off I remembered it was Granger.

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
Mac Baren HH Dark Fired Kentucky is fantastic but not what I want everyday, good and strong, unflavored with its own barbeque-vinegar earthiness. They give it a 5/5 rating for strength. I've been trying to find some of C&D's dark fired, but it has been sold out. C&D Burley #3 (has Perique in it) is my current favorite. You get the spicy Perique and then this cocoa sensation right before a tamp, stoke, and relight is needed. Five Brothers isn't bad. All these seem to be unflavored, which is what I really like, the actual tobacco taste and not some artificial fruit flavor or something that singes the mouth.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
HH Acadian Perique - if you can score some. A symphony of pure tobacco’s. Very flavorful and all of that flavor is tobacco.
Replying only because I'm currently smoking a tin of it and it's fresh in my pea brain. While MB states that it isn't topped, there's definitely a honey flavor similar to what Doblone d'Oro has. In his review, Jim mentions the cavendish as being the honey bearer. See what I did there?

Reactions: Ryan and MattRVA

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Interesting that you mentioned D and R Three Sails since I'm just reaching into the bottom of that one pound bag. Gosh where did it all go.

I originally bought since the reviews suggested it was good as a RYO to roll my wife some cigs. Then she got pregnant and that put an end to her occasional smoking. While I don't have any interest in cigarettes anymore I didn't want the ones I rolled fir her to go to waste so I smoked them and thought these aren't bad I should try this in a pipe... now a couple months later I'm at the bottom of that big bag!

I guess you could say I like plain straight forward tobaccos as well. Just a nice clean bright VA taste and the price can't be beat.

The Ryback Gold is excellent as well.

• Love

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I should add the Peter Stokebye Virginia Long cut is pretty good as well. I just finished up a sample if that and I'll definitely be getting a pound or two of that for the cellar.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
At the moment, it's Mac Baren Norwood. It's been discontinued a while back (2014 or 2015) but I managed to get 5 tins before it was. As it's similar to Golden Extra, I will be stashing on GE when I'm done the Norwood.
I believe MB offers among the very best Burley blends available to us.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
VA’s tend to have that effect on people, underwhelming at first then you grow to really like them, this happened to me. Like Peterson pure Virginia flake happened to me…

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
Solani Silver Flake 660 is one of my favorite un topped tobaccos. Mainy top quality Virginia and a little Dark Fired to give character. In the jar, it has an aroma of baked apple and cinnamon.

Reactions: Ryan and yanoJL

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I don’t smoke that often, but when I do I end up smoking it every day for the next few days.
It's a reliable smoke. Iv got it cellared by the pound. If you like 212, Low Country Natural VaBur would be my next recommendation. It gets better and better with time. Less than 20 bucks a pound on sale.