PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks gents.
Actually, Stig, you're right, some of the Tru-stone blanks I have are heavier than others. I don't know if this is due to the inclusions or the resin chemistry. I've got about 25 different blocks now, some repeats of favorites, other as singles. The thing is you never know exactly what you're going to get because the stem is buried in the block. Regarding webbed blocks, you want to shoot for denser webbing because the diameter of the stem is such that it may land in a field void of webbing. So dense is better with regards to the spider webbing in the block.
Also I've noted that some Lucite block formulations make for better bits than others. Some are rock hard, almost like porcelain. Others are spongy and capable of retaining tooth chatter marks. Still others may wear white marks on the button. This is because they don't hold the buff as well as others. These Lucite blanks,were designed for the pen hobbyists, and were not designed for pipe stems. So it pays to experiment a bit with different blocks. Since they are all under $15 a block, this is doable.
All my stems carry Delrin tenons. I'm completely sold on this material. No more stuck stems, or waxing the tenon to insure proper fitting. Also no more loose stems. Sometimes if you don't smoke a pipe for a year, and you have temp. fluctuations, the briar and vulcanite will expand / contract differently so that a loose fit results. Delrin is magic. It seems almost sponge like, and self-lubricating, capable of regaining a perfect fit every time. I see why a lot of American carvers go for Delrin.
Lastly another shout out to Floyd Norwood of Norwood Pipe Repairs. The man is a craftsman extraordinaire! Not only is his work impeccable, and prices reasonable, but I defy anyone to find me a pipe repairman with a quicker turn around time. I mail him a pair of pipes on Tues from NJ to TN, and the following Mon the box is back on my door step, with the most exquisite stems imaginable. Less than a week - door to door - using Priority Mail with USPS! A true gentleman, and a high Artiste. Contrast this with another pipe repairman, who shall remain nameless, who got my pipes on April 23rd and as of May 21st, still no word. Anyways, if you're tired of vulcanite upkeep, and willing to give Lucite a go, Floyd is your man, and exoticblanks is your source. A match made in heaven.
Cheers,

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Kashmir, just caught this thread... don't know how I missed it until now.
Wow! Loving the look of some of those, and am SO glad that you're happy with the look, feel and workmanship. No matter what any of us think, if you're happy then that's all that matters. That being said, I like 'em! My favourite stems above are the stems on the two Ashtons you posted last.
Very cool Kash.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Kashmir, just caught this thread... don't know how I missed it until now.
Wow! Loving the look of some of those, and am SO glad that you're happy with the look, feel and workmanship. No matter what any of us think, if you're happy then that's all that matters. That being said, I like 'em! My favourite stems above are the stems on the two Ashtons you posted last.
Very cool Kash.
-- Pat

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
kashmir, I have been watching this thread for a while but was not sure how I felt about your new stems. I like the looks of those pretty colors and can understand your desire to change things up. I think it is a good thing you have kept the original stems, I think one day you may go back to them. I think you should be praying that the pipe Gods do not take your blasphemy seriously, who knows what they could do to you. lol
I personally would not do that to my British pipes, but other pipes I would consider it. I am a big fan of those types of colors, kind of Miami Vice like. Do they make those colors in vulcanite or is it only acrylic?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Just spoke with Floyd, and some of those Tru-stone Lucite stems, like the turquoise gold web (above), can not be bent. He was making me a bent sadle stem to fit an Ashton Pebble Grain bent, and poof! The stem just snapped off. So beware what type of material you choose. Tru-stone work fine for straights, but not bents. Had Floyd make me instead a tortoise shell Lucite bent sadle stem for the Ashton instead. Should look nice. I'll post pics next week when they come in.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Somehow I missed this thread (saw it linked on stem fetish thread). Wow, what a dramatic transformation. While those colors aren't exactly my cup of tea (yeah, I know, I'm dull...) but I admire your creativity and ingenuity. A recent estate (James Upshall) I bought was cleaned up by Floyd Norwood and I was very impressed with that work and this even more so. If I need any pipe repairs, he will get my business.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Just got in another crop of re-stemmed pipes, using exoticblanks' Tru-stone, from Floyd Norwood. This time some Dunhill shell briars done in turquoise gold web.
IMAG0004-1-1.jpg

IMAG0053-1.jpg

IMAG0054-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.